Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Monitor Screen for HexCrawler RC Version — Parallax Forums

Monitor Screen for HexCrawler RC Version

DonWDonW Posts: 37
edited 2006-02-03 14:23 in Robotics
Ok, have this puppy working fine, with the RC system, and a wireless camera (Matco).

For testing, I've been just transmitting the picture to a TV with a video input, but was hoping to make the system totally remote, meaning, a small screen that I could put in some sort of framework, with the RC unit, and the video receiver, so you can carry everything around.

I've got an older 5" video screen I've used, but the quality ain't all that good.

Any suggestions on an econmical small sized video screen that takes standard composite input..color preferably..if the price is right??

I'd be open to getting real fancy with an LCD screen, if the $$ weren't too bad, and if it didn't require a major interface to deal with the composite video signal.

Comments

• DiablodeMorteDiablodeMorte Posts: 238
    edited 2006-02-02 13:48
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-02-02 13:59
    As general ideas:

How about one of the portable DVD players? I don't know if they have a video in or not, but it could do double duty, while the 'bot is charging, you could be watching a movie smile.gif

There are also a number of low cost portable TVs for camping and the like (B&W as well as Color).

While more costly, how about one of the "iPod" sized units?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • DonWDonW Posts: 37
    edited 2006-02-02 14:10
    Thanks for the ideas, but thinking a bit smaller...in the 5" range...what I envision is a rectangular framework that has the RC controller attached to it, and above it, is the screen.·Wireless receiver unit can be tucked in somewhere on the framework...thinking something that fits in·your hand, and is light.·
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-02-02 14:51
  • ktekxktekx Posts: 71
    edited 2006-02-02 19:44
    If you need something even smaller, maybe consider handheld televisions? They are around 2-3 inches, use small batteries, extremely lightweight, inexpensive, I found a few on ebay going around $50 or less.

They mostly have RF video as the input, but you can easily use RF modulators to feed it composite video (just like those RF modulators used for common video game consoles), these things are a dime a dozen nowadays, you probably have one laying around if you have a Nintendo.
    edited 2006-02-02 21:28
    The handheld TV idea is a possibility...I'm also realizing that the screen I have, though not the best, may be more of the "best you can get" solution than I thought.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-02-03 01:32
    You can find new Sony PSOne Screens on www.ebay.com for $30-$40. This is a 5 inch LCD backlit screen with 2 speakers, that accepts composite video input using a 3.5 mm to RCA cable (about $4). Just search for PSOne screen on ebay - you'll find both the screen and the cable. The PSOne screen is designed to run off 7.5 VDC
  • bulkheadbulkhead Posts: 405
    edited 2006-02-03 04:11
    I found this after searching for PSOne screens...it's a ps2 controller, 2.5" lcd screen, and carrying case for $35 + shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PS2-LCD-GAME-SCREEN-CONTROLLER-CASE-Playstation-2_W0QQitemZ8255260830QQcategoryZ11319QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It looks like an import product (meaning lower resolution on controller, maybe quality issues, etc), but this guy has only 2 negative feed back out of 13943...might be worth a try...

Edit: Found it here too: http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50433652&pfp=SEARCH

Looks like it's made by Intec, so its not just one of those lower quality clones.

Post Edited (bulkhead) : 2/3/2006 5:59:48 AM GMT
    edited 2006-02-03 12:44
    The PS screen might just work..wonder how easily it can be extracted from the rest of the controller...

Thanks, everyone, for all the ideas!
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-02-03 14:23
    The Sony PSOne screen is easily hackable. It's popular for people who like to build their own portable video game systems because it's an inexpensive, good quality screen that's readily available - even though Sony stopped making it about 3 years ago. If you google 'PSOne Screen hack' you'll find articles on how to modify it. For more info, chech out benheck.com/