Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB to SERIAL — Parallax Forums

USB to SERIAL

StarteR2StarteR2 Posts: 27
edited 2006-02-03 18:37 in BASIC Stamp
Hi there,

I bought a USB to Serial adapter from engros cause i live in canada and ordering the model from parallax would cost me +90$ so i bought it for 60 locally. And i have a problem with it. It comes with a CD, i install driver it works fine except the BASIC stamp doesnt detect it LOOPBACK and ECHO are YES and version and name are blank. The model is BELKIN USB PDA manufactured by BELKIN. The computer assigned com port 7 and i use it at absic stamp still no detection.

Thanks alot

P.S. when i run identify pn the adaptor i ave 3 lamps (Tx, RX, LINK). Link is always green. After i run identify it blinks along with the other too than it stops and basic stamp doesnt detect anything.

basic stamp 2.2.5

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-02-02 02:03
    Hello,

·· The Belkin models do not fully implement RS-232 standards and support and therefore do not work when programming a BASIC Stamp.· You will need an FTDI, KeySpan or Radio Shack brand unit.· These are the brands we have tested to be compatible.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • RobostoogeRobostooge Posts: 3
    edited 2006-02-02 02:42
    Check on RadioShack they may carry a similar adapter. Also, be sure that there is not software installed using that port.idea.gif For example,·my HotSync had to be disable for my PBASIC software to work.

Post Edited (Robostooge) : 2/2/2006 2:48:10 AM GMT
  • TomSTomS Posts: 128
    edited 2006-02-03 03:38
    Has anybody tried a Tripp Lite Item#: 230962 USB to Serial?

Tom Smuts
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-02-03 14:54
    Note that the "PDA" version USB adapters usually do not have the hand-shake lines implemented -- which you MUST have for the BS2. And many people have had trouble with Belkin USB to Serial adapters.

IOGear, FTDI, and Keyspan are other generally available USB to serial adapters that have worked. Don't buy the PDA versions, though.
  • ChetChet Posts: 150
    edited 2006-02-03 15:18
    TomS said...
    Has anybody tried a Tripp Lite Item#: 230962 USB to Serial?

Tom Smuts
    I use the Tripp Lite U209-000-R. I have used it on the SX-Key and that works fine. Have not tried it on the BS2P yet.· It does have all the signals according to their documentation.

http://www.tripplite.com/shared/pdf/manuals/932072.pdf

regards

Chet
  • TomSTomS Posts: 128
    edited 2006-02-03 18:37
    That's good. The Tripp-Lite model is $15 cheaper from PC Connection than the Radio Shack model.

Tom