Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Mac Maybe ? — Parallax Forums

Mac Maybe ?

Brandon_LBrandon_L Posts: 37
edited 2006-02-02 20:15 in BASIC Stamp
I just got the BS1USB.· I'm curiouse why it dose not show up on the mac with either of the FTDI drivers for the Mac.· Looking for a direction.· Anyone ...

Thanks

Brandon

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-01-31 01:21
    Currently MacBS2 is only compatable with BS2 devices according to www.muratnkonar.com/otherstuff/macbs2/index.shtml
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-01-31 01:28
    We have not yet made a third-party BS1 compiler module available -- it's on our list.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Brandon_LBrandon_L Posts: 37
    edited 2006-01-31 02:30
    I'm aware of this information. Thank you for your input, but the question is why when I plug my FTDI external device it is seen as Comport X: when looking at availble ports on my mac. However when I plug the bs1usb in the hardware is not recognised as Comport X. If I can not communicate with it a compiler is of no use. Is this an issue that needs to be addressed by a updated FTDI driver or is that by design?

Thanks

Brandon
    edited 2006-01-31 02:45
    I'm not a Mac guy so I just don't know. Have you installed the latest FTDI driver for the Mac? You'd need to get it from FTDI, we don't have it on our site.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2006-01-31 21:40
    Follow up thought: If I can get the BS1USB to show up on a com port making a Realbasic Application to generate code should be very easy.

Following my Muse,

Brandon
    edited 2006-01-31 21:50
    I am actually in the middle of porting my BS1 Debug Viewer from VB to RB -- it's slow going though, I'm not nearly as comfortable with RB as I am with VB (that, and I have a ton of other thing happening).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2006-02-01 07:18
    I find RealBasic a bit combersome to deal with but the cross platform support is awsome. I picked it up so I could hack out serial IR programmer for LED badges. I use an IO Gear USB to RS232 cable with an older FTDI chip to connect the progrmming hardware on the Mac. So I've tested with 3 differnt drivers and where the older chip shows up the one on the BS1USB does not. Can you tell me which chip is being used on the BS1USB? I'd like to look up the datasheet. Maybe that will shed some light.

Thanks

Brandon
    edited 2006-02-01 07:24
    I beleive it's the same chip that's in most of our boards, the FT232BM, including the USB2SER.· Here's the part:

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=604-00031

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-02-01 11:24
    The IO Gear USB to RS232 cable uses the Prolific PL2303 chipset and they can't be used to program a Basic Stamps on a Mac running OSX according to www.muratnkonar.com/otherstuff/macbs2/faq.shtml
    edited 2006-02-02 06:43
    Update version 2.01 of the FTDI driver on the mac is now working. A reboot was in order after installing the driver. I'm starting to read debug data. I now need to parse it in RealBasic. Jon if you can give me an inside look at the info maybe I can get it compiled in OS X & windows.

Thanks

Brandon
    edited 2006-02-02 20:15
    Brandon,

You can open the VB files in a text editor and see what I'm doing.· In short:

-- when you have enough characters in the serial buffer to constitute a debug packet, grab them and append it to a working buffer
    -- scan the working buffer for a sync header
    -- grab and parse the values that follow the sync header

I have RB as well and have greated the UI for my project, I just haven't had time to do the serial aspect yet.· When I finish it, I'll post those files as well.· It will be intersting to see if they cross-compile without having to make any changes.

I've attached the meat of things as a text file.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams

Post Edited (Jon Williams (Parallax)) : 2/2/2006 8:19:16 PM GMT