Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFEFX Board — Parallax Forums

RFEFX Board

Gary D.Gary D. Posts: 37
edited 2006-02-04 01:12 in Robotics
Man,

I can't say how long I have been working on this project. Well its finally done. I present to you my RFEFX board. i never really was a BS1 person, no offense parallax, I like my BS2's. the board has many features that some of you may like or may not like.... its your opinion.

Let see... let me start by saying, I dislike Bread Boards, so this was designed not to utilize them.

I was tired of the Serial connection so using a FTDI FT232RL chip (from Parallax) I eliminated the serial. I also wanted direct terminal connectivity to the BS2 (I use SX version) so the terminal blocks were a must. i also wanted the capability of LEDs, so I put them in but there in line with a 10 position dipswitch (the LEDs are not installed in the picture). I use 0805 Surface mount LEDs for my board.
Another cool feature i added in was the LINX 433MHz Long Range receiver module and holtek decoder (pictured). i designed the receiver to be used with 433Mhz 5 button transmitter so therefore 5 channels go from the Decoder to the stamp. look closely at the 4 position dipswitch because 4 channels from the decoder are optional... meaning if you only want to use one data channel from the decoder then turn all 4 switches off and now you can use the I/Os from the stamp that would have come from the decoder on the terminal block. there is also an RJ45 port (no jack installed in the pic). this is used for direct cable connection from other proto baords. i like using RJ45 cable because it is nice and neat. just becareful of the connections because power and ground is also on the connector.

I see a lot of use out of this board in my future halloween projects.
800 x 600 - 196K
800 x 600 - 213K
800 x 600 - 233K

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-01-31 00:26
    Gary,

·· Very nice!· Do you have a schematic for the board?· Any code for it?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Gary D.Gary D. Posts: 37
    edited 2006-01-31 00:52
    Hey Chris,

here is the Schematic.... Please note that in the schematic there are 2 usb busses... however, one usb bus is for my Specially designed 4x20 LCD module. the module is sold at parallax but i replaced the 3 pin header with a usb header. this allows nice and neat connectivity between the LCD and the Board.

Let me know if there are any questions.

Post Edited (Gary D.) : 2/9/2006 7:05:27 PM GMT
    2101 x 1051 - 52K
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-01-31 01:38
    Gary,

·· Thanks for posting that.· I know more than a few people will be interested in seeing how you implemented the USB sections.· Where did you have the PCB made?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-01-31 06:24
    Chris,

PCB's were done at Advanced Circuits (www.4pcb.com).

here is a sample code to use this board as a launch pad for a model rocket. this is assuming a relay is connected to P15. in this code we utilize the LINX 5 button RF transmitter (433Mhz) and the correct sequence of buttons must be pressed (1,2,3,4,5) for added false trigger security. Also a time delay will reset the code if you fail to complete the sequence.

for information on how model rockets work Click here

' {$STAMP BS2sx}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}
    '//////////////////////////////////////////////
    '// RF MODEL ROCKET CONTROLLER //
    '/////////////////////////////////////////////

time VAR Word

reset:
    LOW 15

main:
    IF IN1 = 1 THEN two
    GOTO main

two:
    FOR time = 0 TO 1000
    IF IN2 = 1 THEN three
    next
    GOTO reset

three:
    FOR time = 0 TO 1000
    IF IN3 = 1 THEN four
    next
    GOTO reset

four:
    FOR time = 0 TO 1000
    IF IN4 = 1 THEN five
    next
    GOTO reset

five:
    FOR time = 0 TO 1000
    IF IN5 = 1 THEN ignite
    next
    GOTO reset

Ignite:
    HIGH 15
    PAUSE 3000
    GOTO reset
  • Jeff DegeJeff Dege Posts: 85
    edited 2006-01-31 16:14
    This may sound like a stupid question, but...

I see that rather than connecting the HT668's pins directly to the BS2's pins, you've put a resister between each.

What is the purpose of these?

And what is the value of these?

And most importantly, how do you calculate the value of these from the datassheets of the HT668 and the BS2?
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-01-31 16:20
    Here's another way to check your button inputs:

Get_Sequence:
    · LOW LaunchCtrl
    · idx = 1
    · timer = 1000
    · DO
    ··· IF (INS.LOWBIT(idx) = 1) THEN······· ' current button pressed?
    ····· idx = idx + 1······················' yes, update pointer
    ······timer =·1000······················ ' reload for next button
    ··· ENDIF
    ··· timer = timer - 1····················'·decrement timer
    ··· IF (timer = 0) THEN Get_Sequence···· ' if expired, restart
    · LOOP UNTIL (idx = 6)···················' keep trying until all pressed·

Ignite:
    · HIGH LaunchCtrl
    · PAUSE 3000
    · GOTO Get_Sequence

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax

Post Edited (Jon Williams (Parallax)) : 1/31/2006 6:15:36 PM GMT
    edited 2006-01-31 17:02
    Thanks Jon for the simplified version... but the Holtek decoder is not latched are you sure it will successfully read the correct value of each button press?

As for your question Jdege,

the Decoder is an HT658 3^18 series decoders. Which corresponds to the HT640 Encoder in the Linx 5 button transmitter.

the outputs of the decoder are treated as hooking up a button to the stamp...

each I/O pin is tied to ground via 10k resistor... and 220 ohms is fed from the decoder to the stamp..

this ensures the stamps pin is kept low untill you press the corresponding button on the transmitter.

Hope this helps.

Gary D.
    edited 2006-01-31 17:20
    I'd have thought that if the HT658 was keeping its output pin low, it'd hold the stamp's input pin low, if the two were wired directly together, without the pulldown resistor. Does the HT658 sometimes let its output pins float?

As for the 220 ohm resistor between the two pins - is that there primarily as a current limiter?
    edited 2006-01-31 17:36
    I have seen some floating pin behaviors on the Holtek decoders. the pulldown resistor ensures that the stamp always sees a constant

low voltage.

as far as the 220... its just a safety precaution. So you are correct they are current limiting resistors. but they can easily be

substituted for 0 ohm resistors if need be.
    edited 2006-01-31 18:16
    It should now -- what I just fixed was the reloading of the timer variable when the proper button is pressed.
    Gary D. said...
    Thanks Jon for the simplified version... but the Holtek decoder is not latched are you sure it will successfully read the correct value of each button press?

<snip>

Gary D.
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2006-01-31 18:41
    "I have seen some floating pin behaviors on the Holtek decoders."

Is there something I should be seeing on the datasheet that indicates that this is necessary? Or is it always necessary when tying a CMOS output to a BS2 input pin? Or is it sometimes necessary and sometimes not, and not documented anywhere?
    edited 2006-01-31 19:03
    You very well just might not need the resistors at all... I just treat all inputs as buttons, so they dont fry my BS2SX. No harm no foul.

you could very well leave out the 10ks. i just have them for accuracy.

the only time i received holtek error was when my projects were mounted on a bread board. maybe the Capacitance of the bread

board was enough for Malfunction. who knows. I will do some tests this weekend to see if there is a difference.

Here is a Question for you... why are you so concerned about the resistors of the Holtek? wouldn't you rather have resistors for

safety then not have them and destroy something?

Gary D.
    edited 2006-01-31 19:32
    I'm a software guy who's been messing about with Basic Stamps as a hobby.

Programming the things I have no problem with. Figuring out how to connect things is sometimes an issue.

I've just finished a little project connecting a Basic Stamp to one of Parallax's 418MHz keyfob receivers, flipping a couple of relays. I wired the pins straight. It's been working, except that I'm not sure that the battery life is what I'd hoped for.

When I saw your project, it looked like you were doing something very similar, but you'd added the resisters to those connections.

I wondered why. Whether they were necessary, and what sort of situation would drive the design decision to use them.

I've found a lot of simple sample apps for the BS2 - some with quite good explanations of how they work. But not many that discuss why they were designed in the way they were.
    edited 2006-01-31 20:02
    Inline resistors like that are not required, but a VERY CHEAP insurance against a programming error that causes to outputs to drive against each other.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2006-01-31 20:18
    Now i see where you are coming from.

I on the other hand am a Engineer for a Wireless company. We sometimes place resistors to protect Integrated circuits and limit current. by looking at the Button configuration in the Stamp manual it states that resistor is used to limit current flow to the pin. all you want to see when using a button is the State of the pin. tying the pin to a ground with a 10k resistor ensures it is grounded regardless if the decoder is floating or grounded. When the Decoder goes high it takes the least resistance path and makes the I/O pin to the stamp High. as i said before, I treat all inputs as a button configuration to ensure steady operation.

do you think you would benefit from my Board?

the're dying to get build....

boards.jpg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    There are 10 kinds of people....

Those who know binary and those who Don't.
    edited 2006-01-31 20:58
    My little box is working the way it is, and I've no enthusiasm for revisiting it.

My intent is to wire it into my doorbell circuit so as to allow me to ring the bells remotely, or even to program the BS2 to ring them at random intervals.

The goal is to condition my dog to ignore the doorbell - to have the door ring and have nobody there and nobody do anything.

What I have will serve for that. And might find some use with the Christmas decorations.
  • Curtis BrooksCurtis Brooks Posts: 38
    edited 2006-02-04 00:31
    I see you don't have a ferrite bead in your schematic, do you have a problem with interference?
    edited 2006-02-04 01:12
    the FTDI Chip is self powered design and not Usb powered. There is no interference from what i have seen.