Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Robomaid Hacked — Parallax Forums

Robomaid Hacked

neotericneoteric Posts: 144
edited 2006-02-03 15:17 in Robotics
This is my second robot after getting the kit for Christmas.· No prior electronics experience.· The robomaid redo I have been working on is complete.·I call it Robomaid2.·It uses the outside of this product. http://www.robomaid.com

It uses 5 IR pairs.· 2 in front, 2 on the side, one in back.· The front pair is for detecting front collisions.· The theory of the side pair is that the robomaid2 can hang very close to the walls and cupboard bases, where most of the dust is.· (I have not completed the code for this, although it works pretty well like it is)· The back IR helps when the robot gets a little too cramped.· It rotates, and the back IR helps it get out of loops by kicking the robot forward.

The leds are wired from the IR recievers, and light up when they get data.· This let me see how the IRs were getting read.··This was all a bit much for the battery, so I added a Parallax Servo Controller, so I could run the servos from a seperate power supply, and this also let the IR looping go much faster.· It is really fun to watch it run with the lights out.·

I am running a counting procedure that Andy offered,·on the IR's, as they were picking up the ballasts in my kitchen.· Thanks to Beau, Andy, Bruce, Jon, and everyone else who helped me every step of the way.· I have learned a lot and had a lot of fun with it.

If I were to add anything, I would add another IR pair to keep it from going down the basement steps, and a light measuring system that would let me turn off the counting procedure when the lights were off.· I will probably tune up the software quite a bit.· Thanks to everyone who helped, and to Parallax for thier incredible support.
700 x 525 - 138K
700 x 525 - 64K

Comments

• BatmanBatman Posts: 93
    edited 2006-02-01 19:07
    Cool this is very nice (they also featured Robomaid on fox 2) the only problem with the robomaid is. When it get stucked, 75% of the time when it softly hit something. Well you solved the problem with your robomaid 2. Ands yes making it so it can’t fall of the step's (that’s good). Also it will be niter if you make a cover for it. If http://www.robomaid.com/ had a forum and you add a very niter cover that fits and·make it so it can’t fall of the steps. You could post it there (I bet people will try to bid on it). LOLyeah.giffreaked.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Happy new year
  • neotericneoteric Posts: 144
    edited 2006-02-03 00:45
    Woo hoo.· Featured on www.hackaday.com!
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-02-03 15:17
    Curious what you did with the weasel ball, I thought of hacking the Robomaid myself, but mainly throwing away the part you used and making an intelligent weasel ball.

Congrats on the hackaday feature.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10