Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PING)) fails to work? — Parallax Forums

PING)) fails to work?

NitrohawkNitrohawk Posts: 17
edited 2006-01-26 22:51 in BASIC Stamp
To start with, I am a beginner so bear with me as I attempt to describe my situation.
·
I got my PING)) in yesterday. I set up the leads, just like they are in the documentation. I also downloaded the code from Parallax's web site and pushed it out to my BS2. Everything seemed to work just fine... with the exception of getting readings back from the PING)) itself.
·
I built my development board using the PCB supplied with the book "123 Robotics Experiments" and I have tested several other things such as servo control and led flashing and what not... so I am sure the board works, as does the BS2.
·
I tested the power and it was at 4.9 v.
·
Where else should I be testing / trouble shooting? confused.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Nitrohawk

Comments

• Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-01-25 16:05
    It could be several things- you should have a good connection from your I/O pin to the PING)))- have you 'beeped' out the board? (checked connections with a meter that beeps to verify connections- even most cheap DMM have this feature)- Always be careful with phrases like "I am sure the board works"- I'm sure the members of the forums could give you stories of times they were sure something was good- I know I can...

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • NitrohawkNitrohawk Posts: 17
    edited 2006-01-25 16:30
    Oh, Good point!

I did have an LED "beeping" on the same pin so that is how I justified my "I am sure the board works"... but I will also test with my DMM this evening.

Oh, i noticed when I gave the SNG line (BS2 Pin) feedback from my DMM the application showed some values... leads me to suspect a bad PING)) module.

BTW, I want to just say this is the first time I have EVER had a support forum respond so quickly. Thanks...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Nitrohawk
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-01-25 16:38
    No problem. If you fail to get the PING))) to work, contact us for an RMA- We'll be sure to get you a working module!

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • NitrohawkNitrohawk Posts: 17
    edited 2006-01-26 22:51
    Okay, I "beeped" the pin again on my development board and it worked as expected.

I set up the power source and made sure it fell within the documented power source.

I ran the program that is supplied again and sadly, came up with nothing again.

On a side note, I noticed there there is a small green LED between the two "eyes" on the module, is this suposed to light up during activity?

What is the process for RMA'ing?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Nitrohawk