Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS1USB Board — Parallax Forums

BS1USB Board

KenLemKenLem Posts: 94
edited 2006-01-27 04:23 in BASIC Stamp
A Basic Stamp with USB!?· Now that's just cool!

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=BS1USB

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
www.speechchips.com

Speech & Video IC's for BasicStamps

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-01-25 02:41
    Since the BS1 is connected right to the PC, I wrote a VB app to receive and filter the BS1's Debug packet (the full story will be in my March N&V column).· In the meantime, I posted the VB source in the projects forum.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=567110

The attached image shows a project I did with the module using a DS1620.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    640 x 480 - 101K
  • KenLemKenLem Posts: 94
    edited 2006-01-25 15:19
    That's pretty cool looking.· The only problem I have is that, as electronic parts get smaller, they get hard to see!

USB on a stamp is a great idea.· What do you guys do? Sit around all day thinking up cool stamp projects? Oh yea, you probably do.

Nice work.· BTW, how many engineers does Parallax actually have?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.speechchips.com

Speech & Video IC's for BasicStamps
    edited 2006-01-25 15:21
    There's not much "sitting around" at Parallax -- we're too busy having fun! And anyone on our staff who comes up with a good idea and is willing to follow through with it is welcome to do so.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,175
    edited 2006-01-27 03:41
    Hello!
    It's a great idea platform for a project. idea.gif
    However, I have one question. Where's the code for the DS1620 project? Is this the same code that's traveling with the DS1620 application note?

And still another question, the VB code that's referenced in the projects forum, I noticed that the contents of the zip file are that of source code and an icon. No problem there, I can build it into an executable. But wouldn't it be easier to distribute both? Not everyone has a copy of VB hanging around for their computers. I want to see if it can talk to a standard BS1 module as well while it is running a program containing the Debug statements. And of course get the stamps I have to work with the DS1620. Naturally at somepoint I'm going to obtain a BS1USB.yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buck Rogers

www.gregg.levine.name
    edited 2006-01-27 04:23
    I suppose I could build a distribution -- those tools need the MSCOMM control and not everybody has that on their PC (I know because I sent one of the EXEs to a friend for a test).· When the article comes out in March I'll make a EXE distribution for those that don't have VB.· In the meantime I've attached the source for the DS1620 project.

Please keep in mind this isn't intended to be a "done" project, but a framework to get others started.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams