Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
using the sparkfun RF-KLPA wireless modules — Parallax Forums

using the sparkfun RF-KLPA wireless modules

WhelzornWhelzorn Posts: 256
edited 2006-01-25 19:39 in Robotics
I am looking for a way to implement simple wireless connectivity between a basic stamp and my PC. I found these modules at sparkfun. I haven't ordered them yet, because first I need to figure out if they are exactly what I need. What I want to be able to do output serial data from my PC directly to pin 2 of the transmitter, and receive it exactly as it came of the serial port at the PC. Can I simply plug pin 2 of the receiver directly into a pin of the BS2 and use serin to get the data? or do I need to build some circuit to "decode" the data from the receiver?

thanks,
Justin W

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-01-24 20:36
    Justin -

With nearly any RF wireless setup transmitting serial data, you will need to use an encoder on the Tx end, and a decoder on the Rx end. The data sheet for the modules that SparkFun is selling will verify that aspect. I didn't see where they offered the suggested Holtek encoder/decoder for sale, but I may have missed it. I can't say much more about the SparkFun units, since I've never used them.

I have had good luck with the TXLC/RXLC (4800 baud limit) and TWS/RWS (2400 baud limit) modules that Bruce Reynolds at Rentron offers. The Holtek encoder/decoder is right on that same page as the RF equipment when you go to order it. You can find those units here:
    http://www.rentron.com/PicBasic/RemoteControl.htm

I can also tell you that if you should have any problems in implementing the Rentron units, Bruce will walk you through the entire thing. He may even have examples or sample PBASIC program right on his web site.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

Post Edited (Bruce Bates) : 1/24/2006 10:28:34 PM GMT
  • WhelzornWhelzorn Posts: 256
    edited 2006-01-25 19:05
    hmmm... I looked at the rentron units and found this page explaining how to use the units with a BS1/2, and it looks like they are simply feeding serial data straight from the bs1 to the transmitter, and straight from the reciever to the bs2. Maybe I am missing something, because it says nothing about the decoder/encoder IC.

thanks again,
    Justin W
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2006-01-25 19:34
    the page on rentron has a set up where the Stamp is acting as the decoder/encoder
  • WhelzornWhelzorn Posts: 256
    edited 2006-01-25 19:39
    oh, ok thats what I was planning to do anyway. Thanks for the info, I guess I'll go ahead and order those now.