Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Complete Beginner needs help with Boe Bot — Parallax Forums

Complete Beginner needs help with Boe Bot

ghostdogghostdog Posts: 2
edited 2006-01-23 18:59 in Robotics
Hello all,

I am completely new to this hobby and look forward to the future...also completely new to electronics , programming ..etc.

However..

I need some help with the Boe Bot , Basic Stamp rev c.

My questions is concerning the steps around centering the servos.

1) Question about jumper placement: I have the battery pack with 4 aa batterys. I have moved the jumper on VDD to the lower 2 pins. This seems to work, I have gotten my motors to spin. The other option according to the manulal is the top two pins if you are using a dc supply that plugs into an ac outlet. I'm wondering if the battery pack connector to the basic stamp is ac to dc ?

Sorry for the newb questions....The good news is that the motors have spinned and are centered, hopefully I am on the right track.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2006-01-23 18:07
    Batteries are DC.

The Stamp has several pins that deal with power...

Vss is known as ground or (-)
    Vdd is known as positive or (+) which is regulated to +5 volts by the Stamp (it is actually the voltage regulator chip on the stamp that does this)
    Vin is known as "power in" from a DC voltage source.

The AC Adaptor takes 120 volts AC from your wall socket and does two things... first, it changes it to DC, then it steps it down to whatever voltage is listed on the AC Adaptor (5 volts DC, 9 volts DC, 12 volts DC, etc.)

So anything that you are dealing with will be DC, not AC.

Does this help?
  • ghostdogghostdog Posts: 2
    edited 2006-01-23 18:59
    Yes, helps alot ! Thank you. I'm keeping a scrap book of notes and your explanation has been added. I understand better now.