Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Strange issue with Serout.BS1 — Parallax Forums

Strange issue with Serout.BS1

Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,175
edited 2006-01-25 15:14 in BASIC Stamp
Hello!
I've been spending most of the past three days, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, working with a Stamp1. It happens that to have the example program Serout.BS1 send a stream of data to something so that it makes sense, human readable that is the baud settings need to be changed from N2400 to T2400.

And for all of you who've been following the individuals questions concerning RS485 networking questions, I mentioned that it was possible to be confused concerning the pin names on the RS232 devices. Well that's exactly what did happen to me. I needed to rewire my connections from the stamp to my transceiver chip a DS275, and naturally I'd gotten the names of the RS232 connector confused. Well now they are straightened out, and I've gotten it to the point where I can see the streams flowing across onto the Hyperterm screen. If need be I can have code up in a few more hours. Later today for example. Say by the later Afternoon to Evening NY time.

However the help screens for both the SEROUT and SERIN commands are indeed correct in their respective syntax. However the page for the connections should be updated to include the standard's names for the pins, as well as what the commands are calling them. And that's also shown in the box with the pin names for both the·DB25 and DB9 entries. (Even though the standard does not accept the DB9 version.)·smilewinkgrin.gif

And photos of the completed circuit plus a screen dump from Hyperterm should be up by the next two days. Website name will be posted later in this thread.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Buck Rogers

www.gregg.levine.name

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-01-23 07:04
    If you're going through an inverter (DS275) then you need to use T2400; if you connect direct to the PC, N2400 will work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,175
    edited 2006-01-24 01:41
    Jon Williams said...
    If you're going through an inverter (DS275) then you need to use T2400; if you connect direct to the PC, N2400 will work.
    Hello!
    Understood. However my reasons behind the post were twofold. One was to mention what kind of responses I happened to be seeing. The other was to remind everyone else regarding the problems of names for serial device pins. If I'm going to be making this work, and I expect I will be I'll probably be putting a buffer such as the SN7437 in between the Stamp and the DS275. What I described was a Q&D solution. And the page that I described regarding serial device names mentions a reference to using a line driver.yeah.gif· It's the second or third page of the SEROUT description of the help file. (Which works here.)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buck Rogers

www.gregg.levine.name
    edited 2006-01-24 16:50
    Hello!
    I have now discovered that to make proper use of my application, and its related items, I am going to need to switch from that device to a MAX232 and its relatives.

Also probably a MAX3100. Can the MAX3100 work with a Stamp1? Or is that more of a Stamp2 capable part?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buck Rogers

www.gregg.levine.name
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-01-24 17:20
    Gregg -

The MAX-3100 UART requires synchronous serial communication to drive it. On the BS-2 this is easily done with the SHIFTIN and SHIFTOUT commands. Those cammands can be simulated on the BS-1, but it would be a good deal easier to switch to a BS-2 unless there is some compelling reason to stay with the BS-1. Additionally, you will have a much broader choice of baud rates on the BS-2 over the few baud rates that are available on the BS-1, as well as a notably larger set of commands.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    edited 2006-01-25 15:14
    Bruce Bates said...
    Gregg -

The MAX-3100 UART requires synchronous serial communication to drive it. On the BS-2 this is easily done with the SHIFTIN and SHIFTOUT commands. Those cammands can be simulated on the BS-1, but it would be a good deal easier to switch to a BS-2 unless there is some compelling reason to stay with the BS-1. Additionally, you will have a much broader choice of baud rates on the BS-2 over the few baud rates that are available on the BS-1, as well as a notably larger set of commands.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    Hello!
    My only compelling reason happened to be the obvious. That's the stamp version who is here at the moment. redface.gif· So with regret I am now posting a discussion completed note here. Thank you to the three of you. I know now, that to do effectively my serial communications project it will indeed require the talents of a BS2 unit. I'm thinking it will be the SX based one unless I can track down a BOE rather quickly. I am now going to switch back to my other reasons for using the Stamp1, its ease of use regarding the I/O issues. Again thank you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buck Rogers

www.gregg.levine.name