Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
NES or SNES controller hookup? — Parallax Forums

NES or SNES controller hookup?

christo1423christo1423 Posts: 19
edited 2006-01-22 22:05 in BASIC Stamp
I am·wanting to control my basic stamp 2 with a NES or SNES controller. These controllers seem to have plenty of buttons for my purpose. I just need some help translating the documentation I found into code for my Basic Stamp 2.I am a beginner at this having only completed·maybe half of·the exercises that came with the Boe-Bot kit. For this reason I don't really understand the timming issues that might appear. My intended use is similar to a controller for a·RC car and will require both the D-pad and both buttons. I am currently just trying to see how hard this project might be and·do not have one of these controllers available to test. The documentation is at http://pinouts.ru/data/snescontroller_pinout.shtml. Any help on this would be appreciated.
·

Comments

• Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2006-01-22 21:45
    The link you attached describes something quite simple to impliment.

First before you start with the SNES controller, buy a 74HC595, and a 74HC597, they are very cheap chips, and you can learn the commands of "shiftin" and "shiftout".

Read about shift registers here:

www.parallax.com/dl/docs/books/sw/exp/sw23a.pdf

www.parallax.com/dl/docs/books/sw/exp/sw24a.pdf

These are both(and more) located in the online parallax stampworks library. I suggest you look the collection over.

www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/sw/sw.asp

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Meh. Nothing here, move along.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-01-22 22:05
    For SHIFTIN experiments (that will ultimately help you with the NES controller), you may want to try the 74HC165 -- it's the compliment of the 74HC595.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax