Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can I capture IR frequencies with a basic stamp 2? — Parallax Forums

Can I capture IR frequencies with a basic stamp 2?

Matt BattleMatt Battle Posts: 172
edited 2006-01-21 16:20 in BASIC Stamp
I have a universal remote that I want to see if I can use it to control my BOE-bot. The first thing I know I need to do is capture the IR frequencies that the remote sends out. How do I go about doing this? Is this even possible? Thank you and have a good day.

-Matt

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-01-21 14:29
    Matt -

You will need an I/R receiver (photodiode) as an input device and then use the PULSIN command to read the start of the transmission. Then you need to determine the width of each pulse being sent. You will need to do that many times for each key, as each key may be composed of numerous different width segments. Then you need to go about that all over again, for each of the keys you intend to detect.

This is a long and time consuming process, and at least one of the primary reasons that Parallax has standardized on one type (brand) of I/R remote encoding. The SONY TV encoding sequence is the one that you will find in all of the Parallax documentation. Parallax sells both a universal remote capable of sending the SONY encoding, as well as an I/R App Kit to use as the I/R receiver.

If you can set your universal remote to the SONY TV coding sequence, any of the Parallax examples will work for you, and so will any of the I/R hardware that Parallax sells. That's obviously a much easier path to follow.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-01-21 16:20
    Here's the link to the IR for BOE BOT book.
    (free download!)
    www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28139

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."