Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need suggestions — Parallax Forums

Need suggestions

Dave45Dave45 Posts: 36
edited 2006-01-21 17:58 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I just finished the Robotics with the Boe-Bot. I'm hooked! I need some suggestions on what is the next thing I should do to learn more. I still·am not real sure about myself when it comes to wiring something just from a schematic, I want to try the Boe-bot following program that someone from parallax posted to improve the following ability with less jittering. I also need to learn some more about the programming side. What do you guys recommend I start next? Thanks

Comments

• edited 2006-01-21 04:05
    Yeah, I know the feeling.· I've been hooked ever since I saw my first Boe-Bot.

There are lots of extra resources posted on the Boe-Bot Robot Kit - Serial Version·page.· Apparently, the top accessories are the Infrared Remote Control for the Boe-Bot·and the QTI Line Follower AppKit.· The IR Remote for the Boe-Bot book has three chapters, and it's kind of like a continuation of Robotics with the Boe-Bot.··You can download the PDF version of the book from the product page and review it.· Heck, if you've already got a universal remote (and the pamphlet that lists the remote codes), all you have to do is download the PDF book and it's as good as three more Robotics with the Boe-Bot chapters to go through.· The QTI Line Follower AppKit's documentation is a little more terse, just enough to get you stared.· However, the courses and mazes you can create are practically limitless.· The Boe-Bot product page also has a link to the Boe-Bot Accessories·page, which has links to all kinds of different Boe-Bot gadgets.· Each product page typically has PDF documentation that you can download and review to see if it might be the right next step for you.·

Another place with more Boe-Bot project links is the Stamps in Class "Mini Projects"·page.· It has several different Boe-Bot categories.

I always recommend the What's a Microcontroller (parts or parts and text).· It's a great way to keep building your foundation.· It might not be as glamorous as the Boe-Bot, but it's got more circuits, program examples and coding techniques, along with information about how it all fits into various product designs.· You can download and review the PDF version of the text from any of the three product pages or download it directly from here.·

Well, those links should get you started; have fun surfing the Parallax web site.·
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-01-21 07:30
    There is a BS2 Tutorial (PowerPoint & HTML) on the educational downloads page that has good coverage of programming concepts.

Also, the "Applied Robotics with the SumoBot" download has some advanced material that could be applied to a Boe-Bot
  • Dave45Dave45 Posts: 36
    edited 2006-01-21 16:33
    Thanks for the your responses. I ordered the Ping and the adapter kit for it. It's suppose to be here Monday. I will check all the resources you've mentioned. I've downloaded and printed the What's a microcontroller? .pdf and the Stampworks.pdf . I thought the What's a microcontroller was probably the next in line for me, but I thought i'd get some other opinions. I need to order a few more parts that the Boe-Bot didn't come with for those, as soon as i get them i'll get started on it. What do you guys think is the best book to learn pbasic. I'm learning but a good reference guide will help alot. Again thx for your help.
  • edited 2006-01-21 16:58
    For a reference guide, the BASIC Stamp Manual is undoubtedly the best resource. The PDF is available from Downloads -> Documentation on www.parallax.com.

The best "quick reference" is the PBASIC Syntax guide, which you can view from the BASIC Stamp Editor by clicking the Help button (or selecting Index from the Help menu).
  • Dave45Dave45 Posts: 36
    edited 2006-01-21 17:58
    Thanks again. I just downloaded and printed the remote control .pdf file. I'm going to do it first while I wait for the extra parts for What's a microcontroller? Also just downloaded the basic stamp manual. Should be all set for awhile.