Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bluetooth — Parallax Forums

Bluetooth

StarteR2StarteR2 Posts: 27
edited 2006-01-26 02:51 in Robotics
Hello,
Im thinking of making a wireless bluetooth network between my laptop and my robot. Can anyone sujest me a wireless USB cable that can go into my basic stamp and into my laptop? I saw a piece today in a store, you plug it into ure USB laptop and it can comunicate with anything that has USB. Im looking for somethink like that only it should comunicat with a second piece.

I dont know maybe somthing like this:

Boe-Bot(Basic Stamp)->USB
wireless
USB->Laptop

Is it possible?
Adrian

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-01-20 22:49
    This thread is being moved from the Projects Forum to the Robotics Forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • edited 2006-01-20 23:57
    Ok well i dont know if any usb pluged into a boe-bot would work, also make sure that its a bluetooth usb dongle not 802.11 wireless. EB500 should do the trick for the boe-bot bluetooth. I use it all the time for exactly the way you specified. I have my laptop with the brains and have the robot communicate back and forth with it what to do. I say about the usb wireless plugin probably not working because its more complicated then just hooking it in and having access to wireless instantly. You would have to find documentation on how to communicate with it from the manufature and that can be a pain in the butt to find. Where using the eb500 there is a ton of documentation, people here who could help if any problems arise since many users here own one, and possibly longer range since usb wirless dongles in my experience dont have that far of range. Hope that helped.

Post Edited (DarkSin) : 1/21/2006 12:03:11 AM GMT
  • StarteR2StarteR2 Posts: 27
    edited 2006-01-21 15:56
    Okay that seems usefull. From what I understood is that i plug this in my basic stamp (do i need any code?) and i can connect from my laptop via bluetooth over 300 feet? Can I use debug terminal? Thanks alot

P.S. And just to be sure, cause im kinda confused in this, will I still be able to receve data from my robot? like my purpose is making it travel arround the house transmitting tempreture and heat. I already have the sensor setup well. Will I be able to do that?

Post Edited (StarteR2) : 1/21/2006 4:32:35 PM GMT
  • edited 2006-01-21 18:53
    You will have to code for it, but thats same for everything and it comes with allot example code on how to do that. It is a transiever so it can both recieve and transmit messages so yes it can send information back to the computer. Should you run into any problems you can ask about them on the forums as well. One thing you should look at though is how you will manage this information on the computer, theoreticly I guess you could use the debugger included with the IDE (though ive never tried it as I have a mac with diffrent IDE). Hope this helps you a bit more.
    edited 2006-01-24 01:34
    Okay so here is my problem. My laptop doesnt have serial port and i want to use a Serial·to USB
    ·adapter for my laptop. To setup this thing how will i manage? can i use usb? help me pls with thisone
    ·Im asking this question vecause we need HyperTerminal for this usage. And in hyper terminal i Have 3 options to use the connect using thing
    one is COM3 which aint serial,
    Another TCP/IP Winstock
    And some kind of HDAUDIO data fax modem.

THanks

p.s i couldnt buy a USB Board of education cause it was out of stock.

Post Edited (StarteR2) : 1/24/2006 1:46:21 AM GMT
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-01-24 03:52
    You can use the USB-to-Serial adapter to connect to a serial device:

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=800-00030

It's important that you load the VCP (virtual comm port) drivers before you use the device.· Once the driver is loaded, the adapter looks just like any other comm port to the software that wants to use it.· I use this device for programming SX chips and the BS1 (using the BS1 Serial Adapter) from my laptop USB port.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    edited 2006-01-24 21:41
    I already found this piece in a store. Where do i get VCP or what is that thing. Is there a soft or something?

Thanks
    edited 2006-01-26 02:51
    Okay guys so i succeded many test with the eb5oo and hyoer terminal. Now a huge problem, i cant get basic stamp to send via bluetooth to the bot
    a program? Like when i established secure conection between bluetooth(laptop) and eb500 it assigned port COM6 outgoing and COM7 incoming. I placed both in basic stamp and neither work. If its possible i want a method to be able to throw away the srial cable.

Adrian