Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
STampDAQ Question — Parallax Forums

STampDAQ Question

Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,175
edited 2006-01-21 23:57 in BASIC Stamp
Hello!
Is there particular reason why the excellent StampDAQ product is currently aimed towards the BS2 family of devices?

burger.gif·

It seems to me that it should work with any of the Stamps except for the original Stamp. For example, for what I do with my stamp, namely have the unit control breadboard constructed TTL based logic circuitry, the StampDAQ product would be perfect for tracking the sequence of data being manipulated by the Stamp, as it streams serial data pulses around.·One stream to the logic circuit, and then back, and then to the PC. (By way of example.)hop.gif·Just a thought.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Buck Rogers

www.gregg.levine.name

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-01-20 19:41
    You should be able to use it with anything that can emit the proper serial stream. When we first introduced the Javelin a few years ago the creator of StampDAQ (Marty) was in our training session and had it working with the Javelin in about two minutes. It's probably "aimed" at the BS2 family because that's our biggest line and what the creators use in their classes.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2006-01-20 19:45
    Buck,

You should be able to use StampDAQ with any of our products (except the BS1), as long as you are using 9600 baud. You're only seeing a BS2-IC code example because that's the most commonly-used BASIC Stamp.

It's a neat program and one of my favorites. I was really happy when Marty sent that to us one very late Friday evening.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,175
    edited 2006-01-21 22:52
    Ken Gracey said...
    Buck,

You should be able to use StampDAQ with any of our products (except the BS1), as long as you are using 9600 baud. You're only seeing a BS2-IC code example because that's the most commonly-used BASIC Stamp.

It's a neat program and one of my favorites. I was really happy when Marty sent that to us one very late Friday evening.

Hello!
    Ken I just had a look at the macro that is StampDAQ. It turns out that Jon is indeed correct here. The prompts for the baud rate include the lower speeds that the BS1 are capable of. Given the presence of the BS2-1C in everything else, I do agree with the rest of your statement.

Now for I am planning, if I can't get my application to work, let alone communicate with StampDAQ from BS1, at say 2400 baud, then I will cheerfully make arrangements to obtain the appropriate BS2, and carrier board. I've been looking at the super carrier
    [size=+0]http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27130·[/size][size=+0]ever since it came out, (for the BS1 since there are mounts on it for that one), but it would work for the BS2 I would then be using. Of course the other problem is that the super carrier contains a wire wrap area, not a breadboard area. But that is easily solvable.[/size]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buck Rogers

www.gregg.levine.name
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-01-21 23:57
    You won't be able to DEBUG with the BS1 with StampDAQ. StampDAQ is looking for specific strings and the BS1 doesn't do that with DEBUG. It's a little complicated to explain (though I try in my March column), the BS1 only every sends a 97-byte packet that includes the values of all of its variables. It's up to the editor to fish out the variables and display them as called out in the program (when downloading, the editor creates a table of strings that might get used).

Now, you can still use the BS1, you'll just have to do a standard SEROUT of the strings and run them through a MAX232 or similar TTL-RS232 converter.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax