Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PULSIN: Remote control submarine questions — Parallax Forums

PULSIN: Remote control submarine questions

The_N3rdThe_N3rd Posts: 34
edited 2006-01-20 16:19 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,·all!
···· It is I, the Nerd.· I have been so busy this year that I have done little programming at all.· I've been busy with school (I'm a freshman this year), and my airplanes, that I haven’t had the time to whip out the Boe-Bot.· But finally this week I started reading my programming book, and I wrote a few programs.·
·····Anyhow, I had the Idea of building·a simple remote control submarine.· I got the Idea from·the·Autonomous Underwater Vehicle on Parallax's·Customer Applications page.· I want to simply use the basic stamp's PULSIN command to rotate·servos, and turn on and off two·H-bridge·controlled (any other suggestions?) electric motors.· My problem is that I don’t have quite enough programming knowledge to apply the PULSIN command.··I have a JR·XP6102·radio transmitter, and a 7-channel receiver.· I mostly understand how servo control works, but I don’t know·how to measure the input from the receiver and then apply that to a program.· If two electric motor thruster "pods" are on each side of the sub,·I could have the servos·aim them.· I would like·to have the throttle stick control the two thruster pods overall speed, the elevator channel to point the pods up and down (pitch up & down), and the aileron channel to aim the·pods in opposite directions·to control yaw·right and left.····SO, if·anyone could give me some pointers and example programs (I learn best from example), It would be most helpful.·idea.gif···

·········· Thanks alot,
···········Kelie B. (the Nerd)
··

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
the NERD, Kelie B.

·· =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
·
· If electricty comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-01-20 00:48
    Here is a sample code that will get you started for an RC controlled stamp.· This code actually controls a RC Boe-Bot·using a single joy stick on a Tower Hobbies Radio and receiver.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-01-20 12:38
    Kelie,
    Welcome back.
    I would start with the tethered submarine. Get that working, then go on to the radio control.
    Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video·Module" Now available from Parallax for only $28.95

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30012

"SX-Video OSD module" Now available from Parallax for only·$49.95
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30015

Product web site: www.sxvm.com

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."
    ·
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-01-20 13:17
    And do your initial wireless tests in the confined environment of a pool. My grandfather built my father a RC sailboat for Christmas one year (the kind where each plank was individually cut from balsa, shaped, joined, cured and laquered, it took 9 months for my grandfather to make and it was absolutely beautiful). On its maiden voyage in a local pond, it took on water in the center of the pond, capsized and sunk, my father spent the next 4 hours trolling with a dragline trying to retrieve it with no luck. After finally coming ashore my father said "I should have tested it in our pool for more than a minute."

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-01-20 16:05
    Once the sub is submerged, I wonder how much depth you will get with R/C before you cannot control the sub any longer?· RF and water don't mix well.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2006-01-20 16:19
    Anyone ever tried regular acoustics under water? Not 40kHz just regular audio... standard DTMF?
    When I was a kid, my folks had a pool and they had some underwater speakers that allowed you
    to listen to the radio while under water... sounded good. Seems an adaptation of this might work
    well for such a project.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.