Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LCD Character Generator — Parallax Forums

LCD Character Generator

Gary D.Gary D. Posts: 37
edited 2006-01-19 20:54 in BASIC Stamp
I dont know if this is the apropriate section to put this in.....

However... I recently Purchased the New 4x20 Backlit LCD and it is programmed differently that the 2x16 version...

I was wondering if Parallax was going to Update the LCD character generator for this new LCD.

Thanks,
Gary

Oh yeah... Thank you Parallax for making such an Awesome LCD Display with Backlit controls.

27979.gif

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-01-19 20:44
    Gary,

·· The 4X20 and 2X16 Parallax LCDs do not program differently.· They are identical in how the characters are created, and the character generator works with it, I've used it.· The data statements can be dropped right into the code.· Perhaps you should post the code that isn't working for you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-01-19 20:54
    It's a [noparse][[/noparse]very] low-priority project at the moment, but it will probably happen at some point, and be ported to REALbasic and open-sourced after we make the translation.·

The program is still usable -- just copy the output into your program and insert the character code in the stream

From program:

Char0·· ·DATA· $00,$0A,$0A,$00,$11,$0E,$06,$00

Updated for Parallax Serial LCD:

Char0··· DATA· LcdCC0,$00,$0A,$0A,$00,$11,$0E,$06,$00

Notice that I·simply inserted the LcdCC0 constant (from the template file).· If you're using the template available on the Serial LCD product page you're ready to go as it has the customer character downloading code built in -- here's how·would·you modify it to download just one character based on the default output from LcdCC.

DnLoad_Custom_Chars:
    · FOR idx1 = 0 TO·8·················· · ' download 1 character
    ··· READ Char0 + idx1, char············ ' get data from table
    ··· SEROUT TX, LcdBaud, [noparse][[/noparse]char]········· ' send to LCD
    · NEXT

I hope this helps.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax