Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
12 VDC too much?? — Parallax Forums

12 VDC too much??

JimGJimG Posts: 84
edited 2006-01-18 03:25 in BASIC Stamp
I have been experimenting with my new BS2 using a 9V battery but have a really nice 12 VDC wall-wart that I would like to use.· The question is, is this too much voltage or will the on-board regulator handle it properly?

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-01-18 01:50
    Is it a regulated output?· If not, then it's just a transformer, a rectifier bridge, and a capacitor.· Unloaded it well be 14-16V.· If you don't have a voltmeter to check it with, then you'd best not use it.· Or, throw caution to the wind.

The site says 15V max...

I think that it'd be best to KNOW what you're about to do than guess and be sorry for it later.
  • JimGJimG Posts: 84
    edited 2006-01-18 01:56
    It reads 14.22 volts with a very reliable Fluke voltmeter.· Do you think that is too much?· I realize these things are not that expensive but this one has a 1A output and I thought it would be enough to power almost anything I hang off of it.· But....I don't have any desire to burn up a brand new BS2 and BOE.

Jim
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-01-18 01:57
    Jim,

·· That should be fine.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • JimGJimG Posts: 84
    edited 2006-01-18 03:25
    Thank you guys for your help.· I think this whole BASIC experimentation is going to be fun!·

I tried the transfprmer and all is well.· I look forward to more interaction in the future.

Jim