Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Homework board or Board of Education? — Parallax Forums

Homework board or Board of Education?

Matt BattleMatt Battle Posts: 172
edited 2006-01-20 04:01 in BASIC Stamp
Which board would you get? The Homework board or Board of Education? I know that the homework board is half the price but·can find them·any where but on parallax. So which one?

Post Edited (Matt Battle) : 1/17/2006 3:00:29 AM GMT

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-01-17 03:02
    The Board Of Education has more options for upgrade.· You can change the BASIC Stamp Module on it.· The H/W Board has a surface-mounted BS2 and protection resistors on the I/O pins.· It's made to run off a 9V battery whereas the BOE can run off a DC Wall Adapter as well.· You can get the H/W Board at Radio Shack in the "What's A Microcontroller?" kit.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com

Post Edited (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 1/18/2006 2:04:58 AM GMT
  • Matt BattleMatt Battle Posts: 172
    edited 2006-01-17 03:05
    Yea, I think I will be getting the BOE full kit.· I do like how easy it is to·upgrade·the board is and how versatile it is also.

Post Edited (Matt Battle) : 1/17/2006 3:33:18 AM GMT
    edited 2006-01-17 05:34
    Matt,

·· If you're new to the world of BASIC Stamps, you might want to consider the Discovery Kit, since it includes the "What's A Microcontroller?" guide and experiements to get you going on the path to learning the BASIC Stamp 2.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-01-17 12:35
    Chris-

I am new to the BASIC Stamp world and need to learn as much as I can. At the same time though I need to save some money. I have most if not all the parts already that is include in the WAM kit. So what I am going to do is just download the WAM manual from Parallax.

-Matt
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2006-01-17 20:59
    Chris,
    I think your first response probably needs a wee bit of editing...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...
  • SN96SN96 Posts: 318
    edited 2006-01-17 22:49
    Agreed, Chris has it all wrong·nono.gif·turn.gif .

I have the HomeWork board, and it has the built in BS2. You cannot upgrade the HomeWork board. Also I use a wall adaptor that has a 9v output and the end has a 9v snap connector and·it works great.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

·
    edited 2006-01-17 22:59
    SN96 -

What made you choose the HomeWork Board?

-Matt
    edited 2006-01-17 23:17
    I got it because of price and I was not sure if I was going to get discouraged and give up, so I wanted to make my potential loss at a minimum. I was a complete noob (still am) and I needed the most basic introductory kit. The "What's a microcontroller" book is the best starting point in my opinion. Had I got any other book, I might have gotten frustrated trying to learn from the ground up.

I am now hooked and have made this my hobby. I wish I would have spent a little more and got the Boe-Bot kit. You can upgrade microcontroller modules with the BOE (Board Of Education) and the Boe-Bot kit will keep you busy longer. If you are just looking to get your feet wet, then the "What's a microcontroller" kit from Radioshack is the way to go in my opinion. If you feel that you will probably want to get more involved, then the Boe-Bot kit is a fantastic choice also.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

·
    edited 2006-01-17 23:44
    Mike-

Yea, I bought the BOE "full kit" this morning. I hope I made the right choice. I wanted something that would keep me busy weeks to come. We shall see. I am going to do every activity that I can from every book that Parallax has on file. Hopefully I can get this robot of mine off the drawing board.

-Matt
    edited 2006-01-18 02:05
    Yep, had Homework Board on the brain when I started the post...That'll teach me to think & type!· =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-01-18 02:10
    Chris-

What projects have you done with the BOE?

-Matt
    edited 2006-01-18 04:04
    Matt,

·· Before I came to Parallax, and before I could afford to get any other boards I built everything on the BOE.· When I lacked room for extra circuitry, I sat the BOE at the top of a Jameco Breadboard (JE27) and jumpered wires across.· I have built dozens of projects on the BOE.· Of course, I still do for BOE Bot stuff, but now I develop on the PDB (Professional Development Board).· Once you've gotten a work-out on the BOE, you'll probably eventually migrate upward as well.· Stick with it and great rewards await!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-01-18 14:15
    Matt Battle said...
    Mike-

Yea, I bought the BOE "full kit" this morning. I hope I made the right choice. I wanted something that would keep me busy weeks to come. We shall see. I am going to do every activity that I can from every book that Parallax has on file. Hopefully I can get this robot of mine off the drawing board.

-Matt
    Which kit did you get? Did you get the discovery kit or Boe-Bot kit? I'm just curious.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

·
    edited 2006-01-18 18:16
    SN96-

I just bought the BOE and Stamp kit: http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28102. I already have most if not all the stuff that comes in the WAM? parts and text kit. So there was no need for me to buy that also. One of the "activities" I want to work on is getting the stamp to control DC motors. Any ideas?

-Matt
    edited 2006-01-18 18:43
    Matt,

·· There are many methods of controlling DC Motors.· What you do depends on whether you need to be able to reverse the motor and whether or not you need speed control.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-01-18 22:34
    Chris-

I don't want to control speed but I do want the motors to go at the same speed. What I want to control is to either to go forward or backwards.

-Matt
    edited 2006-01-19 23:05
    Well, I am happy today. I received my BOE kit today :-D. The first thing I have to say is WOW. That old saying a picture is worth a 1,000 words. HA HA yea right I guess the stamp is not included in that statement. Man is this thing small even the BOE is small. I haven't played with it yet but I am for awhile then its homework time.

Quick question though. When installing the stamp onto the BOE does it go all the way down against the socket or does it stand up alittle bit?

-Matt

Post Edited (Matt Battle) : 1/19/2006 11:10:34 PM GMT
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-01-20 00:22
    There a couple of very good PowerPoint presentations on Parallax's Educational downloads page that you might want check out. One is a PP version of the WAM text, the other is similar, but covers some different material, including more in-depth programming concepts. You can download a PowerPoint viewer from Microsoft.
    edited 2006-01-20 01:22
    Matt,

·· It should snap firmly into the socket, and there may be a small gap, but it should look as though it's seated fully into the socket.· If not, press firmly and evenly down on it to see if it snaps more into the socket.· If not, it's probably good.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-01-20 02:17
    Okay, I am building my BOE-Bot and I have came to the part of connecting the battery pack to the under carriage of the chassis. Do I have to use the battery pack or can I use a 9v battery? I am just wondering why Parallax is stressing the battery pack and not either or?

9:37pm update:· I see now why you can't use a 9v battery while the BOE is connected·to the chassis.· Well, to allow my bot to move freely I removed the screw that was in the way for me to use a 9v battery.· Hope thats all good and dandy :-D.

-Matt

Post Edited (Matt Battle) : 1/20/2006 2:39:13 AM GMT
    edited 2006-01-20 03:53
    Matt,

·· A 9V battery doesn't have sufficient current capability to run a BOE-Bot for very long.· You would likely drain it in a matter of a half an hour, if that.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-01-20 04:01
    Chris-

Hmm, well I plan on buying the battery pack from you guys tomorrow and hopefully it will arrive by Monday. Until then i have one or two 9vs laying around. Hopefully I will be able to get some play out of my bot before it dies on me.

-Matt