Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
35 Free I2C / UART Evaluation Kits — Parallax Forums

35 Free I2C / UART Evaluation Kits

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
edited 2006-01-31 11:58 in General Discussion
Dear SXers:

As part of the SX transition to Parallax from Ubicom,·we have acquired 35 I2C/UART Evaluation Kits. Before you get too excited about getting one of these kits, I need to tell you that·they are dated 1999. This is true vintage Scenix material.·We view the hardware and software examples as obsolete. However, we all know that a bit of ingenuity will make old stuff work like new.

With I2C and SERIN/SEROUT commands in SX/B, I think these kits could be put to good use. The demo boards have RS-232 line drivers, DB-9 connectors, SX28AC/DP chips, programming ports,·user-selectable 8/50 MHz crystals, prototype area, voltage regulators and power supply. The boards appear to be well-designed.

I'm going to distribute these to our SX customers for free.·To do this efficiently·we're going to have to lay down some rules.·Keep in mind I saved·these kits·from the trash. These are the rules:
  1. (1) I2C/UART Kit per customer.
  2. U.S. Airmail only. No tracking, pure open-loop process, no follow-up from Parallax.
  3. U.S. shipping destinations only. I apologize to our valued international customers.··
  4. 100%·non-supported by Ubicom and Parallax. You're one your own with the exception of SX/B and assembly language support.
  5. No re-listing on eBay. Yes, I watch eBay. If we wanted to sell them on eBay we'd do that ourselves.

If you·have no·U.S. shipping destination·and plan on visiting Parallax soon we can hold it for you as a pick-up.·To obtain these from Ubicom, I provided a guarantee·that none of our customers will contact them with any questions whatsoever. Parallax is the only place to obtain SX support. Ask your questions about this kit on this discussion forum (preferably this thread), but don't ask our staff support questions by e-mail as we're not familiar with this kit and we didn't do the manufacturing and testing of the hardware. However, we can answer questions about SX/B and coding peripherals on the SX. We only support the SX and hardware we design and manufacture.

To obtain your kit, send an e-mail with the subject line "SX I2C/UART Evaluation Kit Request" to Jan Mirrione jmirrione@parallax.com. Include your shipping address. Jan will inform me when our supply is exhausted.

And enjoy these kits. I wish I had the time to use one myself.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
Parallax, Inc.

·attachment.php?attachmentid=40119

Post Edited (Ken Gracey (Parallax)) : 1/16/2006 5:51:47 PM GMT
800 x 1067 - 174K

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-01-16 17:40
    If you live in another country, please feel free to have your request sent to an address· of a friend that lives in the United States.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-01-16 18:41
    Jan says that several of these are now already spoken for! You guys are quick on the draw! Kits still available!

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com

Post Edited (Ryan Clarke (Parallax)) : 1/17/2006 10:05:50 PM GMT
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2006-01-16 23:33
    Thank You Ken!·· tongue.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "OEM NMEA GPS Module" Now available on ebay for only $17.49

Product web site: http://www.allsurplus.net/Axiom/
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2006-01-17 17:53
    Update - we have about 10 kits left to be claimed.

- Ken
  • JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2006-01-17 21:11
    Hey Ken,

Nice picture/icon of the Penguins with your postings......

Things like that can start nicknames.......

wink.gif

James
  • ChetChet Posts: 150
    edited 2006-01-17 21:36
    Am I still in time?· I have a home contol project that would be easier with it.

Regards

Chet
    edited 2006-01-18 00:12
    Chet -

Not sure - you'll need to ask Jan by e-mail. I'm sure we've got one or two left.

James, thanks. You can call me whatever nickname you want. I think my new business card will include the title "Penguin Master" or something like that. Jen is cooking it up for me.

- Ken
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-01-18 00:17
    LOL How about "Dr. Penguinstein". After all you are their creator.

(You do know that Dr. Frankenstein is who created the monster, but the monster is NOT called Frankenstein, but "Frankenstein's Monster")

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video·Module" Now available from Parallax for only $28.95

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30012

"SX-Video OSD module" Now available from Parallax for only·$49.95
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30015

Product web site: www.sxvm.com

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."
    ·
    edited 2006-01-18 01:14
    SXers:

We're out of I2C kits. That's the bad news, but are you ready for some good news?

Given the positive outcome of this freebie promotion, I've got another one ready to go! This time I have some Ubicom Ethernet Stack Kits and some Modem Kits! More on that later in a day or two when some of the snow settles.

Dr. Penguinstein
    edited 2006-01-18 18:08
    Ken,

Not wishing to knock the free products give away here - but is there really no option for us International customers?

I did drop Jan an email offering to pay the international postage - since you have to ship it anyway, but was refused.

If not, oh well - just the fact that you guys give this stuff away is so cool.

James
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-01-18 18:49
    Sorry, James, but it's an incredible hassle -- even if you paid the postage you'd get tagged with customs charges. We sent a freebie to an international customer once as a surprise "Thank You" for something he did. The big surprise was the customs charge and he didn't find that appreciative at all... Sorry.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    edited 2006-01-18 19:09
    Yeah,

I've placed several orders with parallax and other US companies, and the customs charges are not ideal. However it pans out that i.e a $100 order seems to be about £100 when you take into account the exchange rate, the shipping charge and the customs duty. You get used to it.
    Its fustrating that many things seem only to exist in the US, things like www.expresspcb.com, www.emachineshop.com and places like www.lynxmotion.com·- so you have to pay the duty etc.

Having said that, its improving, UK distributers are stocking more and more of the US product ranges.

Que sera, sera

James

Post Edited (Javalin) : 1/18/2006 7:26:45 PM GMT
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2006-01-18 19:41
    Couldn't someone just do a BS2 controlled launch of product into high orbit, and then do a controlled reentry into the country of target? Thus you avoid the duty. Attach a gps locator, keep size small to avoid air traffic controll. heh.

Or mabee the duty is cheaper than rocket fuel, and the associated electronics with navigating and guiding a high orbit rocket.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Meh. Nothing here, move along.
  • James NewtonJames Newton Posts: 329
    edited 2006-01-18 22:19
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...
    SXers:

We're out of I2C kits. That's the bad news, but are you ready for some good news?

Given the positive outcome of this freebie promotion, I've got another one ready to go! This time I have some Ubicom Ethernet Stack Kits and some Modem Kits! More on that later in a day or two when some of the snow settles.

Dr. Penguinstein
    Cool! Now you can internet enable your X10 house!
    http://www.sxlist.com/images/com/attbi/home/http/~andrew_g_miller/sx-x10/index.htm

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ---
    James Newton, Host of SXList.com
    james at sxlist,com 1-619-652-0593 fax:1-208-279-8767
    SX FAQ / Code / Tutorials / Documentation:
    http://www.sxlist.com Pick faster!

• Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2006-01-25 04:25
    Got it today. Thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!
    edited 2006-01-25 05:36
    Neat.

Does it work? Anybody try to program the SX chips yet?

Ken
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2006-01-25 12:55
    I've powered mine up and ran the I2C/UART Demo, prints the following out of the UART 3 @19200

SX I2C/UART Demo2
    Multi-Master Mode
    Devices Found at: 40 50 A0 A2 A4 A6 A8 AA AC AE
    R - Read Saved Sentence
    S - Save a Sentence
    >

The Floppy disk is not readable on my Dell GX280 XP machine but from the printed documentation there is a schematic diagram, so that will get me going. Looks like U7 was never installed on the board. This spot is for a surface mount PCF8573 Clock/Calendar chip.

Hope to do more with it this weekend.

Thanks A Bunch!

Mike

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "OEM NMEA GPS Module" Now available on ebay for only $17.49

Product web site: http://www.allsurplus.net/Axiom/

Post Edited (Mike Cook) : 1/25/2006 1:05:51 PM GMT
  • ChetChet Posts: 150
    edited 2006-01-29 13:14
    I found my present waiting when I got back from Finland.· My disk is readable.· It has 4 files.· Two are the·printed·documentation and two are the code for the two sx-28s. tongue.gif

Regards

Chet
  • les_blueles_blue Posts: 15
    edited 2006-01-31 00:19
    Got Mine today. It's perfect for the project I'm working -
    Sending (slowly) serial data over a single RC channel.
    Get to clear the two breadboards off the desk.
    Thanks Parallax!
  • T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2006-01-31 00:36
    I got mine today too. I noticed the first RS-232 connector fit a bit snug but works well afer I worked it a little. It reminds me of when I made my first single board computer in college and communicated data (read / write) via Hyperterminal.

Pretty cool all the same.

Thanks Parallax for the nice gift!
  • T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2006-01-31 11:58
    After looking at the schematic, it looks like you can also build one of these boards (or a single stage) with a Professional Development Board too. The SX code was provided to flash the SX28 on the PDB too. It should work.

Thanks.