Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hardware Communication Error With BS1 Serial Adapter — Parallax Forums

Hardware Communication Error With BS1 Serial Adapter

Frank MatthewsFrank Matthews Posts: 8
edited 2006-01-14 04:36 in BASIC Stamp
I'm getting a Hardware Communication Error when I try to download a program into my BS1 version 1.4 via my new (today) serial adapter. It asks me to check the serial connection and power supply. When I ask it to identify, that works fine. But, during the download I get the stated error message. I've tried another adapter (I ordered two) and I get the same error. The same cable works fine on the BS1 Project Board and BS2 Homework Board. Tried new batteries as well. What am I overlooking? I'm also using Editor Version 2.2.5

Thanks,

Frank

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-01-14 03:45
    Not apart from the obvious stuff -- like (sorry, but...):
    • is the serial adapter connected to the STAMP right, with regard to the Index mark / "divvit"?
    • is it plugging into your own board?· if so, is the interconnect between your serial adapter mating pins and the Stamp right?

A "1.4" -- is that the BS1-IC?
    • BS1-IC Pin 2 = VSS (GND) = serial adapter "divvit"
    • BS1-IC Pin 3 = PCO
    • BS1-IC Pin 4 = PCI
  • Frank MatthewsFrank Matthews Posts: 8
    edited 2006-01-14 04:10
    Not apart from the obvious stuff -- like (sorry, but...):

Don't apologize...I'd of ask the same thing! tongue.gif

is the serial adapter connected to the STAMP right, with regard to the Index mark / "divvit"?
    • Yes
    • is it plugging into your own board?·No, this is a BS1 carrier board from Parallax.·if so, is the interconnect between your serial adapter mating pins and the Stamp right?

A "1.4" -- is that the BS1-IC? Yes
    • BS1-IC Pin 2 = VSS (GND) = serial adapter "divvit"
    • BS1-IC Pin 3 = PCO
    • BS1-IC Pin 4 = PCI

All of the above is correct.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-01-14 04:12
    Vss is marked ">>" on the BS1-SA and any BS1-compatible board. The only time I've ever seen a problem with the BS1-SA is when a customer continued to plug it in upside down. Make sure the comm port you want to use for programming is available.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-01-14 04:30
    Frank,

·· Are you using a Desktop or a Laptop computer?· Are you using a standard Serial Port or a USB to Serial Adapter?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-01-14 04:32
    Found the problem! A bad BS-1. Tried another one and it works like a champ! I've had it in storage a few years and finally broke it out to give the serial adapter a try. Good thing I always buy more than one of something most of the time! smile.gif
    edited 2006-01-14 04:36
    Chris

Using a desktop with standard serial port and straight-thru serial cable. Again, appears to be a bad stamp as another one works fine. Never used this "backup" until now. Out $29 bucks. :-(