Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
FYI, Basic Stamp Editor works fine with Windows XP-64 — Parallax Forums

FYI, Basic Stamp Editor works fine with Windows XP-64

Silicon GhostSilicon Ghost Posts: 3
edited 2006-01-14 19:11 in BASIC Stamp
UPDATE: It wasn't BSE after all. It was my video card which had a bad fan, thus causing my PC to lock up!

=========================================================
I know Parallax doesn't say XP-64 is supported, but I thought people might be interested to know.

I found that it runs perfectly fine unless 1 of 2 things happens.

1.) Your screen saver kicks on
2.) You close out the program

The problem does not seem to be consistent but it has happened to me 3 times in a row now. Nothing else on my system has a problem. This is a newly built OS (< 2 weeks old) with all the latest patches applied. The program works great while I'm actively using it. If I leave my machine for a while and come back, everything will be frozen and the display is slightly distorted. The last crash was when I exited the program. My monitor shut down and had a message about being out of sync. I have to hard reboot every time this happens.

Anyone else running XP-64 and having similar problems?

I'm using BASIC Stamp Windows Editor version 2.2.5.

Thanks,

John

Post Edited (Silicon Ghost) : 1/14/2006 7:13:04 PM GMT

Comments

• Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2006-01-14 01:53
    You have hard lockups from just LEAVING the editor run? That sounds kinda odd.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Meh. Nothing here, move along.
  • Silicon GhostSilicon Ghost Posts: 3
    edited 2006-01-14 01:59
    Actually, I just found the problem tonight.

It had nothing to do with the editor. One of my fans died in my video card. It was causing the video card to overheat and lock up the PC. It was just coincidence that this took place while I was using the BSE program.

Problem solved. Thankfully the video card is still under warranty.

- John
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-01-14 04:14
    Ah... so easy to blame your buddies at Parallax.... wink.gif All joking aside, it's great you found the problem and that it didn't cause more problems with your PC.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Silicon GhostSilicon Ghost Posts: 3
    edited 2006-01-14 19:11
    Heh..yea, sorry about that. Being fairly new to XP-64 I'm quickly finding that a lot of software that "should" work on x64 doesn't which is why I thought it was BSE right away. Sorry about that Parallax! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

- SG