Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Which USB bluetooth adaptor to use? — Parallax Forums

Which USB bluetooth adaptor to use?

denodeno Posts: 242
edited 2006-01-12 01:03 in BASIC Stamp
Hello again

I have been emailing back and forth with flexipanel about wireless programming of the Stamp.

However, I seem to get confusing answers, or probably, more likely, I am confused.· Anyway, here is a reply from Flexipanel and I need some clearification:

"You can use any USB adapter which supports the serial port profile - as
far as I know, all of them do.· The serial connections on the Linkmatik
appear as a COM port on the PC."

Can anyone tell me if the DBT120 USB Bluetooth adaptor "supports the serial port profile"? Or is there some DB-9pin (COM port) Bluetooth adaptor that is needed.· The confusing part to me is when you start using USB and COM port in the same sentance.

I know about the Ewave wireless programmer for the stamp, however that unit is $350 and is not modular.· A bit pricy as well.· I was wanting to get into this wireless programming for a little less money.

Thanks·· Deno

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-01-06 15:19
    deno,

·· I'm sorry I forgot to get back to you earlier.· In fact I recall saying I would find out what our Tech here used for this application so I grabbed the adapter from his computer.· It's a D-Link DBT-120 and does support serial interface via USB.· I hope this helps anyone who wondered which adapter could be used.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • denodeno Posts: 242
    edited 2006-01-06 16:05
    Chris..great, that is all I wanted to know.· I did send Dave an email and he did reply about the DBT120, but then I got confused about the COM port thing.

Thanks again

Deno
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-01-12 00:39
    Could someone tell me if I've got this right?

I install a DBT-120 on my PC.· I can then use the Toothpick to program my Stamp wirelessly.· The DB9 cable pictured with the Tooth pick - does the 3-pin end of that plug into the Toothpick and the DB9 into the Stamp, or is there another cable required between the Toothpick and the Stamp?

How do I route the Stamp Editor download to the DBT-120?

Thanks

Sid
  • denodeno Posts: 242
    edited 2006-01-12 01:03
    Sorry, but I have not·purchased the devices as of yet to play around with them.· However, in reading the documentation that is published on the Flexipanel web site, they have the steps outlined and the necessary additional software that is required to program and debug the Basic Stamp wirelessly.

I am hopeful that Parallax will come up with a wireless programming/debug package. Something that is alittle more seamless then the above devices, that will work from the PBASIC 2.5 editor, and not require the shifting back and forth between different programs to download to the stamp.

I would be interested in how you make out in programming/DEBUGing the stamp with the Toothpic/linkmatik devices and the USB Bluetooth adaptor.· In my application, I have some stamps running in the field that I would like to "check in on" with my laptop to retreive data, or to transmit a request for·data. I am assuming that this function could be accomplished by DEBUG statements placed in the program. The wireless device/s would always transmit the DEBUG info, but I would only receive it when I was in range with the laptop.· Reynolds Electronics sells some devices that would work, but the BAUD rate for there devices is 2400 max.· I understand this is to slow for the DEBUG command, but might work using the SEROUT command.

I am sure·there is alot·of engineering that has to go into a duplex transceiver to·accomplish the above.

Deno

Post Edited (deno) : 1/12/2006 1:15:51 AM GMT