Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stamp Processor networked using radios and also a visual front end — Parallax Forums

Stamp Processor networked using radios and also a visual front end

controlseng1962controlseng1962 Posts: 3
edited 2006-01-16 19:00 in BASIC Stamp
Hello to everyone, I am new to this forum...

I am checking into the idea of using the stamp or associated microcontroller to build a system on that will be used to monitor like 8 discrete I/O points and 8 4-20ma analog inputs for a cost effective control system.· I would like this forum member's opinions on this idea and any possible aids to my exploration.

controlseng1962

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-01-06 01:07
    What do you mean by "Monitor" ? LEDs ? Video ? Wired ? Wireless ?
    Your 8 discrete I/O points, are they digital or analog ? If analog what voltage ranger ? What resolution do you need ?

If you describe what you are doing in more detail, it's alot easier for us (keeps us from having to guess what you need).

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video·Module" Now available from Parallax for only $28.95

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30012

"SX-Video OSD module" Now available from Parallax for only·$49.95
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30015

Product web site: www.sxvm.com

"I hope the goonwave is not vaporware"
    ·
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-01-06 13:10
    My opinion: Do It!

My questions:
    • What's the big picture?
    • What do you want out of this?

4-20mA current loop is just another way of doing 1s & 0s, so you'll need to swing some current loop to TTL/CMOS converting, circuits·which you can make or ready-made devices you can buy easily enough.
  • controlseng1962controlseng1962 Posts: 3
    edited 2006-01-16 18:58
    Sorry to have been so long in checking this. Actually 4-20ma is not just a 1 or 0 it is an analog reference system... My end result is to be able to get analog and discrete points across a radio network using Microwave Data Systems INET radio which is a 2.4 GHZ radio. The radios have a serial port and an ethernet port. I want to know if it is possible to have several stamp processors, does not matter what flavor, to look at discrete points and analog points and pass them along thru the radio link back to a central computer maybe running a visual basic application for the HMI work.

controlseng1962
  • controlseng1962controlseng1962 Posts: 3
    edited 2006-01-16 19:00
    To clarify my I/O list. My inputs would be 24 VDC and my analog would be 4-20 ma at 24VDC for the excitation voltage. My resolution is not much 12 bit A/D... 4095 binary count... in any case hope this fills in the blanks...

controlseng1962