Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stampworks or Stamp 2 Discovery Kit — Parallax Forums

Stampworks or Stamp 2 Discovery Kit

BullwinkleBullwinkle Posts: 101
edited 2006-01-06 16:32 in BASIC Stamp
I definately buying a Basic Stamp 2 development kit soon. But I'm torn between whether to get the Stampworks kit or the Stamp 2 Discovery Kit. What is the opinion of the forum?

Also, if I do get the Stampworks kit (which certainly looks much more comprehsive) is the 12v power supply switchable to 240 vac?

I can't wait - I've got the green light from the Finance Commitee (my Wife), so next pay I'll shoot off an order.

Any other Australian users on this forum?

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-01-06 00:40
    Either way, you'll want to get a local supply: get one that outputs 12 vdc on a 2.1 mm barrel connector (center positive -- this is critical).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-01-06 03:44
    Bullwinkle,

·· If you're comfortable with programming and working with electronics then the StampWorks kit will get you right into doing some experiments on our best development board.· On the other hand if you're unsure and just starting out you may want to consider the Discovery Kit, since it starts at a more basic level assuming you have absolutely no experience and have never used a BASIC Stamp.· At the same time you get to experiment with different types of devices, etc.·always·learning the basic principles. ·You can always later get a StampWorks kit if you go this route.· You will know what you're ready for based on that information.· Of course, you can always look at the manuals that come with both kits and see what looks up your alley.· They're both available in PDF format from each products web page.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • BullwinkleBullwinkle Posts: 101
    edited 2006-01-06 06:11
    Thanks Chris.

I am a computer professional with 20+ years of coding in just about every computer language there is. I am a bit of hardware nut too - I designed and built an interface between my PC and our garden irrigation system. It works pretty well (mostly). Getting a Stamp to run this will be job #1.

I have looked at the PDF files as you suggested. I think I will go for the Stampworks kit. There's more in that for someone like me - I think.

I can't wait! Payday is 6 days away! smile.gif
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-01-06 06:35
    You might want to consider an OEM BS2 for your irrigation system. You can get them in kit form for $30 USD.
  • BullwinkleBullwinkle Posts: 101
    edited 2006-01-06 07:16
    Kevin

I thought I'd breadboard out the irrigation controller first, develop the software and when it's working the way I want, buy another BS2 module, a printed circuit kit and build the machine in a more "finished" way - with a case and everything.

That way I still have one BS2 around for experimenting with. smile.gif
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-01-06 15:08
    Bullwinkle said...(trimmed)
    Thanks Chris.
    I am a computer professional with 20+ years of coding in just about every computer language there is. I am a bit of hardware nut too - I designed and built an interface between my PC and our garden irrigation system. It works pretty well (mostly). Getting a Stamp to run this will be job #1.
    Then yes, the Stampworks should be a great entry into BASIC Stamps then since you already have some other basic skills.· Enjoy it!· We use the PDB around here to prototype solutions for use in Parallax all the time.· It's a great board to have for projects.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-01-06 16:19
    If someone already has the Professional Development board, is there a "kit" that includes the components (similar to the WAM parts kits)?· I didn't see one on the site.

I realize I could download the manual and get the parts "piece meal", but being the typical Yankee, I was looking for the lazy way out.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-01-06 16:24
    No we have not done that -- to my knowledge, you're the first to ask. I'll check with the folks in production about making a StampWorks parts kit. For time being, you will need to piece meal the parts (unless you want a second PDB!).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-01-06 16:32
    As a possible alternative, and this could work for other "kits" as well, how about a button to push something to the effect of "Add Parts to Cart" that would add the component parts of a kit to your shopping cart, and then you could delete the ones you don't need.

I realize that this isn't a one-two-six deal, and would need to be put on the ever growing web development list.· Jim (IT Guy) probably had enough on his plate for now.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10