Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
i2c bus application — Parallax Forums

i2c bus application

kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
edited 2006-01-05 16:47 in BASIC Stamp
Was looking at trying to set up an i2c bus network for kind of an advanced i / o control. Basically, the bsp24 will be the controller for a group of devices that need to communicate with each other at various times, depending on the event. Devices will be sensors and memory for now, some sensors will have their own dedicated specific memory. There will be no other pins on the p24 being used, as i don't want it to get bogged down with anything. In theory, the stamp will monitor the bus, and when it sees a certain event, it will switch to the assigned run slot and only address some of the devices required at the time. So, the question here is, are there any possible issues here that may cause a problem? Timing is not critical.

kelvin

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-01-05 16:47
    I would consider keeping all the memory devices on one bus and all the I/O on another.

The I2c EEPROMs allow up to 8 chips to work together on a bus via the 3 address pins on the chip.

Other I2C devices may conflict with your memory calls, so it would seem best to have them work amongst themselves.

Trying to 'give' a I2C sensor its own memory chip may not be possible. You really have to weigh the Master and Slave relationships. I believe that the BasicStamp is the Master and their can only be one Master within its design scheme.

Someone else might be able to explain this more clearly to you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan