Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Static Sensitivety — Parallax Forums

Static Sensitivety

Dan StempsonDan Stempson Posts: 1
edited 2006-01-03 06:01 in BASIC Stamp
Hello all, I have finally gotten it together and·bought my first stamp. It said promptly on the label that it was static sensitive, but how sensitive is it? I dont want to do something stupid here, but how essential is grounding yourself while working with the stamp/board?
·

Comments

• Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2006-01-03 06:01
    I have yet to fry ANYTHING via static. possibly because I always touch the metal of a device that is plugged in. Like the metal screw on your computers case.

But I have had a relatives whole motherboard FRY from some cable install tech who walked across their carpet over to the PC, who didn't touch the PC's metal frame before installing a NIC card. go figure how one can get as far as installing a PCI card into a computer without grounding themselves at least accidentally. I think its cause two people were working on it.

Anyway, when you sit down at your stamp project area, always touch something that is grounded. (the case of something metal that is PLUGGED INTO YOUR WALL SOCKET)
    And if you get up, make sure you ground yourself again.
    you can tell if something will be a proper ground if it has a ground plug, and it has a metal case. Almost every modern electronic device that is made properly will have its case grounded (when the plug has a ground pin)

To be honest with you, I have never paid attention to grounding my self. Prolly cause I haven't had a problem with it yet. I rarely have static a problem where I am. I also touch my computer alot. (Its case is metal)

If your walking across the carpet, and or have really dry air where your at. Definetly ground yourself every time before you touch anything.

And just try to avoid touching the pins on your stamp.

A good ground for you would be your stamps comport cable. The outside metal area, not the pins, is also tied to your computers case, which is grounded.

If you touch that ground, and then you don't move around or get up, you can pretty much safely touch the stamp.