Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PINK email not working — Parallax Forums

PINK email not working

steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
edited 2006-01-05 17:49 in BASIC Stamp
Finally getting around to playing with my PINK.·
Going through the basic set ups and such...can see it....can read from it...can write to it...all great!...lots of potential.

But I can't send out emails.
I've gone in to my email program's setup and copied the same smtp settings and still no luck.
Now, I am required to log in to send email....how do I achieve this within the PINK?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."

Comments

• John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-01-02 23:05
    Unfortunately, based on earlier discussions on the PINK, you'll need to find another SMTP server. The current version of PINK firmware does not support secure SMPT servers. There was/is discussion about this as a possible firmware upgrade at some point in the future.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-01-03 15:46
    Many email systems send authentication by verifying that the specific IP address and user return address has logged into the POP account and checked mail within the preceding X minutes-

A lot of ISPs are doing SMTP send authentication by requiring a recent POP access and authentication, because basic SMTP does not have authentication capability. Those doing SMTP (sned) generally require a recent POP login from the same IP address within the past 5 minutes.

How to deal with this is the reason for the discussion of how to add authentication to the PINK firmware. With basic SMTP it is not required- those that do require authentication may or may not be using the above mentioned scheme for verification/authentication.

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-01-05 17:08
    I know Linux has a mail daemon....could this be used with the PINK to send secure emails?
    Like, could the PINK send a regular email to the linux mail daemon, and then linux could forward it on to your regular secure ISP?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-01-05 17:49
    Steve,

By definition the mail would not be secure, given that the mail sent from the PINK to the mailserver would not be secure (a possible point of attack)- would the mechanics of such a setup work- yes, if you could get sendmail or what ever working on your *NIX platform.

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com