Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
EEProm Full. — Parallax Forums

EEProm Full.

MasterMaster Posts: 12
edited 2006-01-03 16:52 in BASIC Stamp
I m doing a program, but my eeprom´s BS is full.

How I do for adapter other memory? and what Chips do you have for I buy you?.

Felipe.

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-01-02 18:12
    You cannot expand the BASIC Stamp's program memory. You might examine your code to see if there are opportunities to make it more efficient (smaller), or you could switch to a multi-bank BASIC Stamp (BS2e and higher) that allows you to break your code into segments. Note that the latter suggestion requires a bit of planning on your part, but many do it and if you make that decision there is a Nuts & Volts column available to give you guidance.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Tricky NekroTricky Nekro Posts: 218
    edited 2006-01-02 19:20
    Jon, have you and the other guys at Parallax ,ever , thought of building a BS2x with just extra memory... Same commands, variables and costants... It's just·a protocole·that needs to be changed and maybe need·a new Basic Stamp Editor (version 3.0.0 for exable...).

Regards, Provas, GReece

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rule your Destiny-
    --Be Good. Be Bad. Be Provas--

provassiggy5yt.jpg
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-01-02 19:30
    Provas -

The BS-2 is built on a MicroChip core. That core will only support one 2K memory block. There is an alternative, however. The Ubicom hardware will·support·8 x 2K banks that the BS2-SX already offers, thanks to the genius of the guys at Parallax.

How much more memory were you looking for, and at what price?

Regards,

Bruce Bates

Post Edited (Bruce Bates) : 1/2/2006 7:34:38 PM GMT
    edited 2006-01-02 19:35
    The basic stamp 2 offers 2kbytes, right...

How about double, triple and so on...

8kB ,for exable, of original coding like the coding for BS2...

Think that the I2C protocole is the one which doesn't allow such expansion, but can be changed...

Regards, Provas, GReece

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rule your Destiny-

provassiggy5yt.jpg
  • Robert KubichekRobert Kubichek Posts: 343
    edited 2006-01-02 19:49
    Provas said...
    The basic stamp 2 offers 2kbytes, right...

How about double, triple and so on...

8kB ,for exable, of original coding like the coding for BS2...

Think that the I2C protocole is the one which doesn't allow such expansion, but can be changed...

Regards, Provas, GReece

If you need more memory, goto the BS2pe it has 38 Bytes (12 I/O, 26 Variable) RAM, 128 Bytes Sratch pad Ram, 16x2K Bytes (16K for source) EEPROM...

I would think that you can do a LOT with that much memory to play with. yeah.gif

Even the others of the BS2x or xx series have 8x2k EPROM.... turn.gif

Bob N9LVU scool.gif
    edited 2006-01-02 20:01
    Provas -

As I stated earlier the MicroChip core being used won't support it. As I mentioned earlier, and as Bob just reiterated, there are other Stamp options with larger memories. Those Stamp platforms with 8 x 2K memories offer 16 K of programming space, 8 times more than the BS-2.

I'm not sure what more you're looking for, or is this just more pontification?

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    edited 2006-01-02 20:33
    Yeah, I know all this stuff... But why when I go to the memory map, it saws exactly the same for every Stamp... I've been thinking of buing a new stamp a year now but the only thing I wanted was some extra memory and speed...

Regards, Provas, GReece

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rule your Destiny-

provassiggy5yt.jpg
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-01-02 20:39
    If you just want more memory and speed than the BS2, then try the BS2SX - 8 times the memory and 2.5 times the speed of the BS2 for $59 www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=BS2SX-IC
  • FlyingFishFingerFlyingFishFinger Posts: 461
    edited 2006-01-02 21:32
    I've tried a kind of memory expansion that works with multi bank Stamps, in a way:
    Take your Stamp, put in a Program.
    Go to another slot, read the memory map in ASCII and put it in external EEPROM at some location.
    Do this for multiple programs
    Load them when you need them.
    Rafael
    edited 2006-01-02 21:54
    Provas -

The memory maps shows what's there during compilation, NOT what's there during EXECUTION. IF the Stamp had an interactive, execution time debugger, it would need 8 x 2K forms for memory maps.

For extra memory and greater execution speed, over a BS-2, you need a BS-2SX. As stated earlier, "8 times the memory and 2.5 times the speed of the BS2", seems simple enough.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    edited 2006-01-03 12:21
    Thanks for your repplies...
    It seems that I have understood what's going on with the memory map...

Regards, Provas, GReece

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rule your Destiny-

provassiggy5yt.jpg
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-01-03 16:52
    FlyingFishFInger
    Check out this thread... ( http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=5&m=103278 )
    I have a simular idea, but I'm worried about the "DL" time... and the code to make it work...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Until our bytes cross again, may your chips never smoke, your bits never fall off, your parts bin never be empty and your jumpers never fall off.
    KK
    ·