Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hacking a Washing Machine — Parallax Forums

Hacking a Washing Machine

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2006-01-14 16:16 in Robotics
I don't have one here.·
I send all my shirts and pants to a laundry across the street.
I was socks and underwear in a bucket.

But, it seems like you could do a lot to enhance an everyday washer.

1. You could add RS-232 to tell you when the load is done [noparse][[/noparse] at your computer ]

2. You could precisely control water temperature to get the most efficent use of your hot water [noparse][[/noparse]which is with the enzimes in the laundry detergent].

3. You could do small loads with shorter cycles optimized [noparse][[/noparse]both·time and water level]·to the kind of clothing you are washing.

4. You could have the washer tell you if it shut down due to overload or out of balance bia the RS-232

5. You could change your wash cycle from the computer!!!!

And,
You could have the dryer on the RS-232 too.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-01-02 21:45
    Why, good idea, Kramer. While you're at it, why don't you Wireless enable your washing machine, so your PC can talk to it over a wireless network.
    <end irony>

What we find is that you don't really WANT or NEED everything to talk to everything else. Washers and Dryers have been working just fine for years with mechanical timers. And the level of control you're talking about (precise water temperature, small loads, shorter cycles, etc) all come with additional costs.

People only pay more for things they perceive give them value.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-01-02 21:55
    I'd rather have a robot that can load the washer/dryer and fold the cloths smile.gif
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2006-01-03 01:13
    No, I'm not a girly man that does the family wash (that is what the old lady's job is), but I do know that most of the upscale washing machines and dryers are increadibly sophisticated... for example, ours monitors the cleanliness of the water to determine if an extra rinse cycle is needed... or dryer for example has no timer, just a dryness setting where it shuts off as soon as the clothes reach a pre-determined dryness level.

... Kramer - you did get me thinking... wonder if there aren't opportunities for my blender though!
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2006-01-03 01:15
    My wife just saw my prior post... Sorry honey, I love you... please don't make me sleep in the driveway!
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-01-03 14:26
    Okay, I guess everyone thinks it is a bad idea [noparse][[/noparse]except maybe your wife or girl friend].

Nonetheless, the additional features do come at an extra cost AND often require more expensive and problematic servicing.· When in the USA, I bought basic washers because they really lasted longer, were much easier to maintain, and possibly·more efficent.

It still seems to me that one could build off a basic machine to have something better than what you buy in a deluxe model.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-01-03 18:17
    I know intelligent washing machines exist, the system at some of the University of Florida dormatories use a debit card to operate, the university provides a network page that enables you to associate a phone number with the card. When your load is done it rings that phone to tell the person thier load has finished. I think it may also alert you if the cycle was stopped in mid-cycle and not restarted (something some people do in a crowded laudry mat) The main complaint? Its harder to hookup at the laundry mat in co-ed dorms because you don't have to hang around your machine anymore.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 1/3/2006 6:20:16 PM GMT
  • Benjamin_bakerBenjamin_baker Posts: 18
    edited 2006-01-03 23:37
    perhaps not for the home, but the dormitory/apartment building/laundromat holds possibilities that have already been explored. Knowing if I should or should not carry my clothes downstairs from my dormroom sounds very helpful. I could go on the internet and find out if the laundromat 2 blocks away is already full, or if I want to meet ladies, I could check to make sure the laundromat is full.

One could put an SSR on a basicstamp with an rfid device so the washing machine would only wash your clothes. you could make a dryer automatically turn off when the vent is spitting out less humid air. You could tag all your gentle cycle clothes with washerproof rfid tags, and disable the stronger cycles when one of your frilliest of frillies gets thrown in along with.
    edited 2006-01-03 23:52
    The proper time to dry a load is a great idea, the problem with alot of customer convience features on devices sold to non-end users (laundry mat owner purchasing washers and dryers), the purchasers·have a hard time justifying spending extra money on features they cannot quantify as helping thier bottom line. But a "just enough" dryer a operator could really get behind, because he knows that the average time spent on a dryer's cycle will go down (because there would still be an upper limit of time it would operate), but all lighter loads would shut off at an earlier time, this directly correlates to less electricity consumed, directly affecting the operator's bottom line in thier favor.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-01-03 23:54
    I for one am all about ethernet enabling everything. Everything. But for me it's all about the challenge, not the usefulness.

The interconnection of devices is great IMHO.

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • Washer MedicWasher Medic Posts: 39
    edited 2006-01-04 02:40
    Hi Kramer
    The OPL on premise laundry equipment that we work on have multiple computers that can be monitored from one pc
    1 that controls wash formulas water levels water temp ECT
    1 for the variable frequency motor drive
    1 for the bulk soap supply
    And in the coin op they are now adding debit card systems in place of the coins
    My opinion someone forgot the kiss principle it can be a real nightmare when one computer decides it doesn’t want to talk to the other
    Some of the hi end home units have the advanced features disgust thou we try not to get involved with them if we can help it whole different set of parts tools ect

Brian

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    There's nothing a good wack with a hammer won't fix

Darn I let the white smoke out again
  • Don McMorrisDon McMorris Posts: 2
    edited 2006-01-04 07:46
    I love the idea. Automation for a HOME wash would be great... yet, maybe not for a public laundry where machine uptime is critical.

But, one thing that would be awesome (and theoretically fairly simple) is to page/sms/phone upon completion of laundry. At the machine, when you load it up, you can press "Phone" followed by your phone number. When 5 minutes remain on the wash, a system would call the number, and announce "Per your request, your laundry will be done in 5 minutes". Or, SMS "Laundry Done". Etc.

Also, if this system breaks down, the machine is still operable. It's just the person won't get his phone call/page, and may forget about his laundry.
    edited 2006-01-07 10:15
    Apparently engineers spend a lot of their laundry time chasing girls. This was a design factor that I hadn't considered.

Essentially, I was considering home automation and this is a particularly interesting piece of home equipment. I usually find it a complete waste of time to monitor it. It also has enough systems and cycles to challenge the average engineer more than say lighting control.

In terms of a more comprehensive home automation system, I was considering a CANbus that would combine security, applicance monitoring, environmental control, fire and other immediate hazards, and convience controls. It seems to be ideal for providing a home automation system that is adaptable to adding devices and changing configurations.

Another applicance that needs consideration and generally uses excessive amounts of energy is the American water heater. By putting a clock with a yearly calendar on it, it would be able to power down in times of minimal or no use. This is a simple project for electric water heaters as they can be switched by an SSR. Their normal thermostat can be set higher than the BasicStamp's device so no internal modifications need be made. You could even have a by-pass circuit to allow simple operation without control if the home automation system is off line.

Later, the CANbus might actually recognize when someone is in the dwelling and overide a shut down period to provide hotwater, or at least warm water when you are not in a scheduled period [noparse][[/noparse]this would combine the security features with the hot water features].

Post Script -· Automated soap dispensing is a great feature.· Most of us are using far more than we need.· The SMS feature is quite alluring too.· And regarding Dryers, you can use a humidity and temperature sensor to minimize energy consuption -- you just have to figure out the right formula from your own data.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Kramer) : 1/7/2006 10:22:47 AM GMT
    edited 2006-01-07 18:06
    Kramer said...
    Another applicance that needs consideration and generally uses excessive amounts of energy is the American water heater. By putting a clock with a yearly calendar on it, it would be able to power down in times of minimal or no use. This is a simple project for electric water heaters as they can be switched by an SSR. Their normal thermostat can be set higher than the BasicStamp's device so no internal modifications need be made. You could even have a by-pass circuit to allow simple operation without control if the home automation system is off line.
    Have you seen the new breed of water heaters? They have no reservoir, but instantaeously heat the water upon demand according to flow, while the instantaneous energy demand is much greater than the old water heaters, overall the energy required is·significantly reduced·because a large body of water is not kept at a constant temperature at all times. The other significant benefit is the hot water never runs out, a very nice feature for large families. The only drawback is they·have a relatively low maximum flow at which they can sustain the target temperature, meaning multiple people cannot shower simulatenously. Though I have seen both systems used where the newer heater is used on the load side of the old heater and kicks in when the old heater's reservior is exhausted, this produces a best of both worlds situatation for high demand times.·Though a daisy chain of the newer variety would be more cost effective in the long run (but I haven't seen this setup as of yet, probably because of the cost of the newer systems means a longer time for the break-even point of initial cost to operating cost function).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 1/7/2006 6:11:27 PM GMT
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-01-07 21:11
    Folks -

Just a bit of a caveat regarding the new breed of tankless or instantanous hot water heaters just described above. DO NOT use these in a commercial application IF you have DEMAND POWER METERING. The cost of running it will drive you into BANKRUPTCY!

Demand metering operates on the principal of the greatest demand over a (reasonably) small period of time. During the measured time period, you pay based on the MAXIMUM KW usage during that period, and that rate (whatever it may be) is used for that ENTIRE period! In ordinary commercial and industrial applications and the KW loads they produce, this MAY be quite fair.

However, since there is such a small ON time period with an instantanous hot water heater (only on during hot water demand), yet there are many time periods (EVERY time you want ANY hot water), the average KW usage (almost) throughout the entire day will be greatly increased over a storage type hot water heater which uses much smaller amounts of power over much longer perods of time.

Although I'd not thought about this until this very moment, there MIGHT be a method to "beat this system" somewhat. This presumes you don't mind losing some of the instantaneous feature. If the heating element were driven by high amperage PWM, one might be able to ramp the power up slowly enough so as not to "trip" the power meter's demand feature. The demand feature DEPENDS on large spikes in usage to swing the demand pendulum (so to speak). Keeping the power usage more even, is the key to it.

Obviously the ramping time period and PWM amount would be determined by a Basic Stamp <whew back on topic> smile.gif

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-01-07 23:58
    This won't apply to the Hot Water Heater, but in a few systems·my old business installed we had a few HVAC systems that had multiple high-current fans that would all come on at the same time.· We set it up so that when the system came on, each fan was turned on one at a time.· This saved a huge chunk of change in the first month alone.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com

Post Edited (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 1/8/2006 2:41:51 AM GMT
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-01-09 00:02
    Spotted this module....

www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/ces/live-from-ces-lg-remote-laundering-device-147227.php

You wouldn't believe teh multi-million dollar industry that's built on 'doo-hickey's and widgets!
    Sometimes people like to say..." look at this cool thing I picked up"...and within a month the novelty wears off...BUT, the seller still has the $ in their pocket!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
    edited 2006-01-09 12:26
    The 'new' water heaters have been common is poorer countries for many years - both in gas and electric versions. In Europe and many other places where you have 220, they are quite popular to.

The USA has some extravagant applicance habits - the tank water heater, the electric dryer, and of course the garbage disposal. Also, the typical American oven has only one reason for being so large - turkey.

The electric dryer gives you those nice toasty towels at a hidden cost - you buy a lot more clothes. If you don't dry with so much heat, the fabric will easily last 10 times longer. Having a precise control of the heat in relationship to the moisture would not only save energy, but do less damage to your clothes.

The dishwashers also have a heating element to dry and sterilize dishes. This merely changes the dishwasher to an electric oven for a few minutes.

The traditional American stove/oven combination is non existant in Taiwan. People mostly steam to cook bread. So they just have a stovetop.

About the only things that I can really see as energy efficent are microwaves and some traditional perculator coffee pots.

GETTING back to Home Automation and a complete BUS
    Having appliances aware that people are around can greatly enhance their utility. RFID might be used to identify who is where and then you might be told that something needs your attention.

I realize CANbus is pretty much a competator's product, but having a few low voltage and independent wires go everywhere is really attractive. The fact that multiple masters and mutiple slaves can work along side each other is another plus. I doubt that you need an internet system thoughout a home as the individual interfaces become more costly. These devices can easily team up with just 8 byte packets.

And no virus.

It is all synergystic 1+1>2

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• gibbmangibbman Posts: 98
    edited 2006-01-10 02:36
    Kramer said: I realize CANbus is pretty much a competator's product, but having a few low voltage and independent wires go everywhere is really attractive. The fact that multiple masters and mutiple slaves can work along side each other is another plus. I doubt that you need an internet system thoughout a home as the individual interfaces become more costly. These devices can easily team up with just 8 byte packets.
    Yes, CANBus is interesting. It controls our autos. It's powerful and well-supported. Another thought is ZigBee, this stuff is fascinating. Wireless, cheap, ad-hoc or defined networks. I don't want to wear an RFID device, but I might tap a button to tell the network that I'm home. And the button tells all the nodes that the human is back, for better or worse.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2006-01-10 03:34
    From my wife:

"It's not the washing and folding that is so much of a problem, I need a robot that will put the clothes away in the proper drawers and also hang the clothes that need to be hung"

...And there you have it!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-01-14 16:16
    Liisten carefully grasshopper wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔