Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Max # of Voltage Changes per Second for BS2 RevC? — Parallax Forums

Max # of Voltage Changes per Second for BS2 RevC?

chapes123chapes123 Posts: 2
edited 2006-01-01 19:45 in BASIC Stamp
Hello Everyone - I am new to Microcontrollers and I am finding it wonderfully interesting.smile.gif

I have a quick question.· How quickly can the BS2 chip sense voltage changes if I produce·a certain number of·changes from 0 to 5 volts per second?

100 changes per second?
5000 changes per second?

What is the max amount this chip will sense per second?

Thanks for your time!
Scott

Comments

• NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-12-30 23:53
    Are you referring to voltage changes on an I/O pin set as an input?

The Stamp can perform 4000 instructions per second which is equal to about 250 us per instruction.· I would think the Stamp would respond to voltages changes coming about 300us apart.· This equates to about 3300 voltages changes per second.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
    http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

·
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2005-12-31 23:35
    are you trying to count or react in step with the number of changes?
  • chapes123chapes123 Posts: 2
    edited 2006-01-01 19:45
    CJ/SID - Thanks for the feedback.· Yes, I am treating the IO pin as an input.· 3300 voltage changes per second is more than enough for what I need to do, however, I think I have another problem.

Part of my application is to send a "1" to a visual basic .net application via com1 when there is a voltage change.· However, if I am maxing out at 3300 voltage changes per second, I believe I will oversubsribe the serial port.

Is there a USB interface I can buy with the BS2 to achieve higher throughput rates?

Again, thanks for all of your time!

Scott