Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp Not Found Useing USB to Serial adapter — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp Not Found Useing USB to Serial adapter

CamoMan4140CamoMan4140 Posts: 1
edited 2006-01-07 09:49 in BASIC Stamp
Hi I'm trying to get my Basic Stamp that came with my Boe-Bot Serial verson to work on my laptop. My problem is that my laptop does not have a COM port so I had to by a USB to Serial adapter. I bought a Belkin one from Staples. When I try to download to the BS2 it says "Basic Stamp Not Found" But both Loopback and Echo say "Yes" But its not finding the BS2. I followed what the book said and turned off the FIFO Buffers and I still have the problem. What's wrong.

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-12-27 05:11
    My best guess: Belkin is what's wrong. It doesn't support the full RS-232 protocol with a "break" condition for resetting the BASIC Stamp.

Don't waste your energy trying to make it work. You could adjust the latency timer as a last ditch effort before you take it back to Staples. RadioShack has one that works, though. It's $39. You can also order the version we offer from FTDI.

Sorry about that!

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2005-12-27 07:40
    I used a USB to serial adapter by I/O Gear that i purchased from Best Buy... Don't know if they still carry it.
  • paulevanpaulevan Posts: 4
    edited 2005-12-28 00:45
    I have the Radio Shack adapter you mentioned but, I am having the same issue as the first post.
    loopback: yes
    echo: yes
    nothing show in either the device type or version fields.
    ideas?

BTW, radio shack charged me about $43 for this.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-12-28 01:44
    Did you disable the FIFO buffers on their adapter?· Laptops have known issues with the FIFO buffers affecting reliable communication.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-12-28 14:51
    Yes, sorry, I should have mentioned that in my post.
    My first step was to check the troubleshooting guide for this in appendix A.

This from a boe bot kit that I got my son for christmas.
    thx
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-12-28 19:23
    Can you confirm that the COM Port number assigned to the Radio Shack device is what's showing up on the screen when you identify or run in the BASIC Stamp Editor?· Oh, and batteries are also a possibility here.· Even if you have new batteries, try another set.· Confirm that the BASIC Stamp is oriented in the socket in the correct manner (Larger chip down when text is lined up) and that the power switch and LED are on.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • C.MoherC.Moher Posts: 35
    edited 2005-12-30 18:48
    Don't take this as an insult because I had the same problem until I discovered the CD in my Dynex USB cable packaging. Your cable should come with software.
    Dynex did a great job in wedging it between the two sheets of cardboard and not making any mention of it's existence on the packaging. Duh...how was I supposed to know ??
    edited 2006-01-01 00:30
    Yea, I had the same experience when I got the cable.

Well, new batteries (again), double checked chip installation. Still having the same issue, with the power in either position. The led lights up fine as well.
  • kf4matkf4mat Posts: 21
    edited 2006-01-02 19:18
    Hi, I just bought my own RS usb-serial adapter and·after loading the driver had no problems talking to my stamp. BTW I saw the $43 one they offer, it's not the same as the $39 6-foot cable.·Make sure you have model #26-183.

Here is·a link for it: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036258&cp=&kw=usb+to+serial&parentPage=search

Tom

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-01-05 13:43
    That looks like the same cable I've got. My local store is kind of isolated (ie.. they usually charge a bit more for things).

Tonight I'm going to see if I can make this work on my Linux box. It'll mean translating thing for my son. Maybe he can use the stamp editor on his laptop and transfer the files to the other maching to compile/transfer.
  • kf4matkf4mat Posts: 21
    edited 2006-01-05 21:31
    Well hope you get it working. Not sure what type of lap top your using, mine is a Toshiba L25. Guess I got lucky and everything worked out for me, now I can get a serial BOE bot from my local Rat Shack and upgrade my homework board.

Tom

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • paysonbadboypaysonbadboy Posts: 81
    edited 2006-01-05 23:59
    Long time no talk for me.

But today I decided to try my Laptop out for programming the pbasic controller and remembered it had NO serial port.

SO doing a search I found this thread. Went to Radio Shack and bought the USB to SERIAL adapter cord thingie and it worked fine on my laptop. yeah.gif

It's a HP Pavillian of some sort.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.paysonarizona.net/
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-01-06 16:34
    Note that it depends on the adapter if you need to load the USB Drivers BEFORE plugging the USB adapter in to your PC, or load the USB drivers AFTER plugging the USB adapter into your PC.

The FTDI drivers are installed BEFORE plugging in. I don't know the manufacturer of the Radio Shack adapter cable, so I don't know what its instructions indicate.
  • paysonbadboypaysonbadboy Posts: 81
    edited 2006-01-07 09:49
    I installed the (Radio Shack) adapter first. And after realizing my laptop has no floppy (drivers were ona dumb floppy) I had to transfer them over the network. Then pointed the windows driver install deal to the drivers on the HD and it worked fine.
    I had to fiddle with one setting in the programming software to get it to work. But it did.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.paysonarizona.net/