Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Faulty servo? PLEASE HELP — Parallax Forums

Faulty servo? PLEASE HELP

zaczac Posts: 3
edited 2005-12-26 07:24 in Robotics
Hi! i did some of the tests in the book for the servos. one works GREAT, it was already centered and it works perfectly. the other one however, ony hums. on all of the tests it just hums. when i adjust the potentiometer, the hum will change frequencies. it does nothing but hum. im wondering if i have a faulty servo? (i have the board of education Rev c, battery powered via 4 double a's)

please help! or direct me where to request a replacement. would this be provided free?

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2005-12-25 21:45
    Zac,

What you describe happens to me when the servo is plugged in backwards. Are you sure that you've got the white, power and ground clip properly plugged into the servo header port on the Board of Education? Also, try swapping servos - put the "non working" servo in the "working" port and see what happens.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • zaczac Posts: 3
    edited 2005-12-25 21:52
    LOL oh wow. it was backwards, i feel so...newbish. lol. but, im also having trouble now with something else. my COM1 port says yes to the lopback and echo. in the book, it documents this problem. i got it working this morning, and it has been working until now. it now reports 'no BASIC stamp found!" and the com1 port is showing the symptoms of the problem described in the book. i followed the instrucitons and did everything, yet i still get this problem.]

thanks for the quick reply and help!

edit: and by the way, the servos will respond to a power on and move briefly. thought it might help the troubleshoot.

Post Edited (zac) : 12/25/2005 9:56:09 PM GMT
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2005-12-25 22:02
    Zac,

This problem is typical of a low or missing power supply. You can only program the BASIC Stamp if it is powered. Make sure you've got the 3-pos switch in 1 or 2, then try to program. Let me know if this was the problem. Also, are you using the USB BOE or Serial?

- Ken
  • zaczac Posts: 3
    edited 2005-12-26 04:58
    im using serial, and have tried the power on switch before and it worked. the problem is that it stopped working. im guessing a bad connection somewhere but i checked and its all good. [noparse]:([/noparse] ill try again tomorrow

EDIT: the power light is coming on, what i meant was that theres a bad connection from the serial i think. sorry for confustion.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-12-26 07:24
    Zac -

Did you check the batteries yet, or insert known good batteries? If not, please do so.

Regards,

Bruce Bates