Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallel port interface communication — Parallax Forums

Parallel port interface communication

PauloPaulo Posts: 21
edited 2005-12-26 20:22 in BASIC Stamp
Hi, folks.

I just received my BS1-IC wich I intend to connect to my laptop via parallel port. However, it seems there is no provision for·that in BASIC Stamp Editor v2.1, so I am looking for the old-fashioned DOS editor.

I found elsewhere in the Parallax site it is named STAMP.exe but a search returned no matches. Can you help me?

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-12-24 22:21
    Paulo -

Please find Stamp.EXE attached to this message as a ZIP file (Stamp.ZIP). This is a DOS executable, and will not work in a pure Windows environment.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • PauloPaulo Posts: 21
    edited 2005-12-24 22:53
    Thanks, Bruce!

I'll give it a try. Merry Xmas for you!

Paulo
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-12-25 13:44
    We have a device called the BS1 Serial Adapter that lets you program the Stamp 1 from a serial port using our Windows software. The old DOS version is able to bit-bang the serial stream on the (TTL level) parallel port; something really difficult to do under Windows (Windows does not allow direct access to ports without a lot of funky work-arounds). By using the BS1SA you can program the BS1 with our latest IDE, with is advanatagous because it gives you the Memory Map feature that was once the domain of the BS2.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • PauloPaulo Posts: 21
    edited 2005-12-26 19:06
    Thank you for the explanation, Jon.

I was trying to avoid using two daisy-chained converters between my laptop and the BS1. Maybe I give good old DOS a try too (where the heck are those bootable floppies?...)

What really hooked me to BS1 was its 3-wire link to parallel port. Anyway, I am already looking for the USB2RS232 converter, they are cheap stuff in USA (around 10 bucks) but·quite costly here in Brazil, almost twice what I paid for the BS1...

Thank you all for the help!
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-12-26 20:22
    Paulo -

If you are planning to purchase a USB2RS232 adapter for use with the PBASIC Stamp, please be aware that not all adapters are fully compliant with all of the RS232 signals. As such, they won't work properly to program PBASIC Stamps.

Naturally, the ones that Parallax sells on their web site have been fully tested and work well with all the Parallax products. Many folks have tried to save a few dollars on a USB2RS232 converter, but were very sorry after they did.

Although there is presently no Parallax Distributor in Brazil, you might want to check one of these other Parallax Distributors in South America, to see if they carry the RS232 compliant FTDI RS232-->USB adapter in stock; the one which Parallax sells:
    http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/company/distributors/dist_south_america.asp

Regards,

Bruce Bates

Post Edited (Bruce Bates) : 12/26/2005 8:35:39 PM GMT