Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Floppy Drive — Parallax Forums

Floppy Drive

karbonuskarbonus Posts: 11
edited 2006-01-05 15:00 in BASIC Stamp
Hello!

I am wanting to connect a PC IDE floppy drive to a Basic Stamp 2. How many I/O pins do I need? If I need more then 15, I would be happy to use a P/40. Anyways, how would I connect it. And then how would I read a specified byte from a specified sector off the disk? How would I write to disk? How would I determine if the disk is write-protected?

Thank you for your time.
Brandon

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-12-24 18:02
    It's fairly difficult to write to a PC floppy drive (which are NOT IDE devices). However there are interface boards available on the market which will let you use a BS2 to access Flash memory such as a Compact Flash card - here's one example www.ghielectronics.com/ALFAT-SD.htm
  • karbonuskarbonus Posts: 11
    edited 2005-12-24 21:15
    Thank you for the reply. Although when I said IDE I wasn't sure, but I knew I wasn't talking about SCSI drives.
    edited 2005-12-24 21:53
    Also, then that chip also supports IDE Hard drives. Is there a way I could connect a floppy drive to this, just like if I was connecting a floppy drive to a IDE connector in a PC? What would be the jumper settings?

Thanks for your help so far. smile.gif
    edited 2005-12-24 21:53
    Also, then that chip also supports IDE Hard drives. Is there a way I could connect a floppy drive to this, just like if I was connecting a floppy drive to a IDE connector in a PC? What would be the jumper settings?

Thanks for your help so far. :sm
  • Robert KubichekRobert Kubichek Posts: 343
    edited 2005-12-24 22:21
    karbonus said...

Thanks for your help so far. :sm

A floppy drive does NOT normally have an IDE interface. I have never heard of one that does.
    Why would you want to use old technology for data storage, that you'll have to roll your own interface for?
    There are several options for data storage that interface directly to the stamp line of products.
    Do a search on this forum for "USB, Flash" storage to find the threads.

Here are a few links that I have saved; turn.gif

www.ghielectronics.com/ALFAT-SD.htm
    www.ghielectronics.com/ALFAT%20DEV.htm

I have both, and they work great. yeah.gif

www.ghielectronics.com/USBhost.htm
    here is one with USB on it "think thumb drive"....

www.roguerobotics.com/products/electronics/ummc
    Here is another SD board.

I am sure there are more out there. smilewinkgrin.gif
    Remember, it will take time to develop an interface to a floppy drive.
    How fast will that interface transfer data??
    How much will it cost, time is money too! smilewinkgrin.gif

Bob N9LVU scool.gif
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-12-24 22:37
    Brandon -

Although the IDE support chip in a PC sometimes handles the floppy drive (FD) as well, and the floppy port and IDE ports are often adjacent on many PC motherboards, the floppy drive interface IS NOT an IDE interface, so forget that line of thinking. The nearest thing to a floppy drive with an IDE interface, is a ZIP drive or the (so called) SuperDrives (similar in nature to a ZIP drive, but lower capacity).

IDE cables are generally 40, 50 or 80 pins wide, and so too the interface pinout. The floppy drive cable (and thus the interface pinout) is 34 pins wide. An IDE (ATA) interface transmits and receives data in a parallel fashion, while the floppy drive interface transmits and receives data in a serial fashion. Take my word that there are MANY more differences than there are similarities.

Why do feel you need to interface a Stamp to a floppy drive? It would be so much easier to interface a Stamp to a PC with an asynchronous serial connection, and have the PC interface with the floppy drive, IDE drive, or any other peripheral. If you need data portabilty, there are a number of other options, and they're FAR more reliable and faster than a floppy, with FAR less of a current demand.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

Post Edited (Bruce Bates) : 12/24/2005 11:13:59 PM GMT
    edited 2005-12-24 23:16
    Bruce Bates said...
    Bob -

Although the IDE support chip in a PC sometimes handles the floppy drive (FD) as well, and the floppy port and IDE ports are often adjacent on many PC motherboards, the floppy drive interface IS NOT an IDE interface, so forget that line of thinking. The nearest thing to a floppy drive with an IDE interface, is a ZIP drive or the (so called) SuperDrives (similar in nature to a ZIP drive, but lower capacity).

IDE cables are generally 40, 50 or 80 pins wide, and so too the interface pinout. The floppy drive cable (and thus the interface pinout) is 34 pins wide. An IDE (ATA) interface transmits and receives data in a parallel fashion, while the floppy drive interface transmits and receives data in a serial fashion. Take my word that there are MANY more differences than there are similarities.

Why do feel you need to interface a Stamp to a floppy drive? It would be so much easier to interface a Stamp to a PC with an asynchronous serial connection, and have the PC interface with the floppy drive, IDE drive, or any other peripheral. If you need data portabilty, there are a number of other options, and they're FAR more reliable and faster than a floppy, with FAR less of a current demand.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

That's why I said "normally"... There is only one drive that I know of that does support 3.25" floppies, BUT it also supports 120M disks as well. It was called a Super Disk by Imation, also some laptops had the same drive in them... I have been "playing" with PC's for over 25 years, and I LOVE to tear em appart and make em better! smilewinkgrin.gif

I also think you should of posted it to "karbonus aka Brandon" whom started this thread.. smile.gif

Cheers smilewinkgrin.gif

Merry Xmas

Bob N9LVU scool.gif
    edited 2005-12-24 23:42
    Bob -

If you check my post, you'll see that was changed a while ago. Sorry.

Bruce
    edited 2005-12-25 05:22
    Bruce Bates said...
    Bob -

If you check my post, you'll see that was changed a while ago. Sorry.

Bruce

No problemo.. smilewinkgrin.gif

If you look at the timestamps, I tink they is all wacko?? yeah.gif

Have a good one!

Bob N9LVU scool.gif
    edited 2005-12-25 20:14
    Thank you for all the replies!
    I want to make a project that can load a program off of a floppy and run it, so the basic stamp is kind of like a interpreter that takes the commands off the floppy and runs them.
    edited 2005-12-25 20:15
    im also thinking·a CDROM drive would be easiser because i think that ALFAT chip could be connected to one. smile.gif
    edited 2005-12-25 21:03
    karbonus -

First, the PBASIC Stamp IS an interpreter, so you're planning to WRITE an interpretive language IN an interpretive language? I'm not sure that is going to be terribly efficient, and additionally, the PBASIC language, nor any form of Basic would not be my language of choice for syntax parsing, string handling, and language generation. Snobol or Lisp might be much better choices for those types of needs. The C language and it's varients may also be so capable.

As far as the CDROM is concerned, most that I've seen are IDE devices, although there may be some USB CD drives out there today. Here are the interfaces/devices which the Alfat processor supports:

Supports Compact Flash (CF), Multi Media Card (MMC) and Secure Digital (SD) memory cards.

Supports Hard Disks (HD) using standard IDE cable.

Although IDE devices are supported (at least hard disks are), from a number of perspectives, size and power consumption among them, it would seem to me that some sort of memory data card (CF, MMC, or SD) whould make a good deal more sense. With an adapter that generally costs less than $20.00 US, you can read or write most of that type of media with almost any PC.

Due to the diversity and ready availabilty of all sorts of USB input and output devices, perhaps the GHI USBWiz might make more sense, using a "thumb-drive" for storage:
    http://www.ghielectronics.com/USBhost.htm . Just a thought, not a suggestion!

I haven't investigate it to see if it appears that the USBWiz would work with a Basic Stamp however. You're on your own there.

Presuming you're fairly new to the world of Stamping, I might suggest that you find some more basic, easier, and more practical projects to start with, and work your way up from there. Many new users to Stamps are often overwhelmed by the ease of use, ease of interfacing, and relatively low cost for such a powerful microprocessor. One might do well to examine all of its capabilities, as well as its possible shortcomings, for any given project, before proceeding with same.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    edited 2005-12-26 01:13
    Thanks. I probably will start with less complicated and more practical projects. If I end up doing this project I will probably do it with the PIC or an SX. After all, the Basic Stamp is based on a PIC smile.gif
  • thecoolbeanthecoolbean Posts: 1
    edited 2005-12-26 18:18
    the LS-120 drives which were an early competitor to the Zip drives were IDE interface and used the 120mb media or read standard 1.44mb floppy disks. If you had an IDE interface and needed to read floppy disks for some reason this would seem your best bet.

Pricewatch.com has them listed for sale startinng at $73.00 with the standard IDE interface.

Good luck, I hope this helps
    ·
  • HiTekGizmosHiTekGizmos Posts: 14
    edited 2006-01-03 17:21
    Not an answer to your question but an alternative approach, consider one of those serial (I2C) EEPROMs. They're pretty cheap, 2 wire hookup, non-volitile, reasonably large capacity, very low power even when active, good for thousands of read/write cycles...
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-01-03 17:26
    Gosh...
    I'de offer my 18 y/o daughter (she washes dishes) for that alflay dev board...
    TO read an IDE hard drive from code... that would be way kewl...
    (Ok, the KIDD in this 41 y/o is showing... )
    /me sighs... Oh well, I'll have to wait and see if I can hide some $$$ at tax return time from SWMBO...
    [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Until our bytes cross again, may your chips never smoke, your bits never fall off, your parts bin never be empty and your jumpers never fall off.
    KK
    ·
    edited 2006-01-03 20:03
    yeah, no kidding
  • bubbleheadbubblehead Posts: 36
    edited 2006-01-05 04:39
    Another option might be to provide your PIC/SX with an ethernet connection.· There are single chip ethernet solutions out there that connect to your CPU with an SPI or I2C interface.· Then your PIC/SX could load software from a server on an Intranet or from the Internet.
    edited 2006-01-05 15:00
    Hey, thats a cool idea. Do they support TCP/IP or whatever I would need to load off an FTP server?