Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is the year 2006 going to be the year for... — Parallax Forums

Is the year 2006 going to be the year for...

denodeno Posts: 242
edited 2005-12-26 17:34 in BASIC Stamp
wireless Basic Stamp programming and debugging from Parallax?
Deno

·

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-12-25 06:50
    Why not?· 2005 was...We already have that available.· A product called Toothpick by Flexipanel is available at the following link:

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30076

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • denodeno Posts: 242
    edited 2005-12-25 14:59
    It is quite possible that I am not sure how the Blue Tooth Toothpick works, so I have to ask a few questions.

1. Will it hook to either the USB or COM port so that i can download (transmit) a program straight to any Basic Stamp with the proper receiver?

2. Will the Basic Stamp, when encountering a DEBUG keyword, in the running program, transmit the a DEBUG command back to the Stamp Editor and show it in the regular DEBUG window?

3. Wouldn't I need two transceivers to do this?

Basiclly, what I was looking for is a device or devices that would enable me to take my laptop into the field, open the DEBUG window, select the proper COM port and monitor data that the stamp has aquired and stored and thru the use of properly placed DEBUG keywords, determing where the program that is running is actually at.· Then reprogram the stamp with the same program to clear any aquired data.

4. Will the Blue Tooth Toothpick do everything that a programming cable (DB9 pin or USB) does with the Stamp Editor when hard wired?

5. Wouldn't this be a great way to control a robot...using the DEBUGIN command to turn left...right...stop...go.....?

Maybe the cost is to much, I simply don't know...

Thank you and Happy Holidays...Deno
    edited 2005-12-25 20:05
    deno,

·· Okay, what I'll do is point you to the appropriate information, and what isn't answered by that we'll try to cover.· You can find the product page for the ToothPick at the following link.· The second link is for the documentation.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30076

http://www.flexipanel.com/ToothPICSE/index.htm

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-12-25 22:29
    Chris...thank you for the recent reply.· I would assume that the toothpic is the transceiver that would connect to my stamp that is in the field.· This "toothpic" would be powered up and standing buy for me to send it a program· or always transmitting DEBUG data as it runs into a DEBUG statements thru the program.· Will it actually transmit DEBUG data when encountering one...just like the programming cable does to the DEBUG editor?

ALso, the part I am having a little problem with is: What device (transceiver) plugs into my USB or COM port to be able to communicate with the Basic Stamp/toothpic. And, does this communication take place in the PBASIC Editor/DEBUG window.

I have read (scanned) thru the 141 pages of documentation about the BLUEtooth and really couldn't nail anything down. Lots of combinations for tranceiving there, but no mention of being able to work right to the remote stamp thru the PBASIC editor.

Further more...does the LINKMATIK SE and the TOOTHPIC SE do the same thing, except that the TOOTHPIC SE has more whistles and bells?

I apologize for my confusion...the older I get the worse it gets...Deno
  • BatmanBatman Posts: 93
    edited 2005-12-25 23:13
    Chris Savage (Parallax)
    I want to talk to you about tha mouse trap
    edited 2005-12-25 23:33
    Reply to the above post...

"Mouse trap"...is that some sort of code?

Deno

Chris...I think I have this figured out.· I need a "eb500" that plugs into an "eb600" that connects to the COM port on the computer.

Then on the remote end...a "toothpic SE" or a "Linkmatik SE". Will either one of this devices work for programming and debugging?

Plus the necessary software.· However, I can't seem to find the·"Bluetooth Manager Application" in the works???

How come all this isn't put into·package by Parallax?

Deno
    edited 2005-12-26 05:29
    Deno,

·· I can't answer for the Linkmatic SE, but I can tell you that you would need a Bluetooth Device on your PC that supports the serial function.· It doesn't have to be an EB500.· In fact, D-Link has a little USB Bluetooth device that I think cost around $50.00.

Batman,

·· Anything you want to know about the "Mousetrap" is listed in the thread in the Projects Forum.· Any questions should be addressed there.· It's off-topic in this thread.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-12-26 14:48
    Chris...I am still trying to put this "wireless basic stamp programming" package together, and in researching the info in your last post to me (and others) the D-Link USB Bluetooth adaptor mentioned only supports USB 1.1.· Not knowing very much about USB "stuff", would this work with USB 2.0 "stuff"?

The price is around $30 from Tiger Direct, which is reasonable assuming that this device and its software will infact communicate with the Toothpic SE to program and DEBUG the Basic Stamp.

Has anyone out there in the "Stamp World" tried this out?· One sure hates to spend money when it isn't going to work.

Thanks again....Deno
    edited 2005-12-26 17:25
    deno,

·· There's no need for USB 2.0 for a device that can only create a serial connection at typical serial port speeds.· USB 2.0 ports are typically backward compatible with USB 1.1 devices.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-12-26 17:29
    What a coincidence...Just a few threads down...

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=563942

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Tricky NekroTricky Nekro Posts: 218
    edited 2005-12-26 17:34
    Yes, I created this topic... and I need a little help about the connections...

Thanks...

Regards, Provas, GReece

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rule your Destiny-
    --Be Good. Be Bad. Be Provas--

provassiggy5yt.jpg