Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MAX 7219 LED Driver help — Parallax Forums

MAX 7219 LED Driver help

T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
edited 2005-12-24 21:48 in BASIC Stamp
I have attached a stripped down version (no joystick code) of Jon's MAX7219 code written for Nuts and Volts column 70.

When I uncomment out some of the scrolling sections I can see that some LED flickering or movement is happening but what I see is all of the 35 LEDs (using LPT747 - similar to LPT757 found in Robolympics schematic) being on with different intensities as the scrolling or LED movement occurs.

I know I have it wired up correctly as per the article and the LPT747 datasheet. Is there anything I should look at just to get "something" displayed with "all" of the LEDs being on. I first thought maybe I should use a ~ somewheres in the output but I don't see where or if it needs to be used.

It is unclear if I am even using the correct "Common Cathode" 35 LED dot matrix display. Since all LEDs are on (varying intensities), there must be something correct.

Please help if you can. I bought 2 of these $20 chips each from Parallax and want to use the properly.

Thanks,

Timothy Gilmore

Comments

• T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2005-12-24 15:25
    I found out my problem thanks to "slotcarz". The anode connections were where the cathode connections were so I swapped them. I also had to change the DATA statements and scaning from 5 columns·TO 7 rows. I still have a slight problem with scrolling but I will keep playing with it some more.

I have attached Jon's·code·(modified) for the symptoms above if anyone would·like to check it out.

PS: I would like to say that the MAX 7219 does an excellent job of displaying characters but a bit expensive at $20 each.

Thanks,

Timothy Gilmore

Post Edited (tdg8934) : 12/24/2005 8:17:48 PM GMT
  • Kenny GardnerKenny Gardner Posts: 169
    edited 2005-12-24 21:02
    Timothy,

Head on over to Maxim's Web site and request 2 samples. That'll get you two more for free.

While there, you can buy them for $7.04. I bought 25 of them for $5.63 each. They say the lead time is 5 weeks but when I bought·mine it·only took a few days.

Jameco sells them for $9.95 or 7.59 if you buy 10 or more.

Kenny
  • T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2005-12-24 21:48
    Kenny,

Thanks for the info but Parallax even though higher in price offers great support so that to me is worth more than the hassle of Salesmen calling·me about free samples.

I do appreciate the info!

Thanks,

Timothy Gilmore