Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can someone recommend a stamp for this project please? — Parallax Forums

Can someone recommend a stamp for this project please?

Brann FenixBrann Fenix Posts: 57
edited 2006-01-05 16:27 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I have been reading over this forums and website for a few weeks now and decided it was time to ask a question or two about my project idea. The goal of my project is to monitor, log and collect readings from sensors that monitor room temp, humidity, water temps, water levels, and PH levels in water also I want to controll relays for about 5 AC powered devices suchs as pumps, filters and heaters. I have plans to use the PING))) sensor to check water levels and to use the other sensors sold here to read everything but the PH which I am still looking into. Another main feature I am trying to fit in is an RJ45 network port so I can use to controller the system and read the data over my network. I have not seen any addons for 10/100 network cards so I am not sure how that would work out in the grand plan of things but it would be nice if it is doable.

Well now for my real question... I have not worked with any Stamp stuff before and wanted to do this project as a learning experience more than anything else and I plan to do it in phases rather than jumpping in head first and drowning in it heh [noparse]:)[/noparse] I am looking for someone to recommend the best Stamp controller for the job since the last thing I want to do is buy something that will not do all the things I need and since I am on a budget it is always nice to not over buy as well.

Thanks in advance,
Brann

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-12-23 05:53
    Brann,

·· The best deal for starting out and learning the BASIC Stamp is the Discovery Kit (Linked below) which will also provide you will a tutorial kit (What's A Microcontroller?) and activities to learn.· Once you have mastered that, you can move on to the Applied Sensors kit (Posted second link) which will show you how to read sensors and record data.· Of course we also have many extra sensors and things you can play with, but I would recommend starting out with the Discovery Kit first.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27207

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28127

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Brann FenixBrann Fenix Posts: 57
    edited 2005-12-23 06:40
    Thanks from the speedy reply Chris [noparse]:)[/noparse]

So you think a BASIC Stamp 2 will do the job for what I am looking for? I was thinking about getting the Discovery Kit but after looking at all the different BASIC Stamp 2 options I just did not want to under/over buy.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-12-23 11:19
    If you want to save some money, the Parallax What's a Microntroller Kit available at Radio Shack P/N 276-625 $79.99 is functionally identical to the Discovery Kit. The main difference between the two kits is the Discovery kit has a seperate BS2 module and it's Board of Eduction programming board can supply 1 Amp at 5V. By comparison the Homework board in the Radio Shack kit can supply about 75 mA at 5V and the BS2 is not replaceable.

If you want to communicate over the internet, you'll need to add the Parallax Internet NetBurner Kit available here
    www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30013
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-12-23 16:07
    Brann,

·· It certainly sounds like, from your description that the BASIC Stamp 2 will do fine.· There are a couple of factors to consider when starting out new.

1) The majority of our code examples are based around the BASIC Stamp 2.· While some other module have additional speed, memory, etc. the·parameters·for many commands·need to be altered slightly for timing reasons.· This can often throw off a new user to the BASIC Stamp.

2) While the WAM Kit is cheaper, you also get more with the Discovery Kit, including everything that comes with the WAM Kit, a full BASIC Stamp Reference Manual, and a Board Of Education versus a Homework Board.· The BOE allows you to later upgrade your Stamp Module if you then decide you need more power.· The H/W Board has a surface mounted BS2 and cannot be upgraded.

3) The BOE is available in a USB version, whereas the H/W Board is available only in serial form.· This may not be a big deal for you, and in fact, we are currently back-ordered on the USB Boards, but it is a factor nonetheless.

4) Finally, you mentioned controlling AC devices.· Depending on the current draw, etc. of these devices, we may have a ready built product to handle this.· The RC-4 uses Solid-State Relays to control from 4 to 16 120VAC devices, up to 3A each.· This board will plug dircetly into the BOE Servo Headers for control.·

If you have any further questions or details of your system, feel free to post them.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2005-12-23 16:14
    Brann,

I recommend the BOE-BOT from Radio Shack. I like that it comes with a removable BS2 cheap that you can move to a solderless breadboard. The other cheaper kit (What is a Microcontroller one) has it's BS2 soldered to the board. I moved up to the BS2px later on and also the SX28 with a Professional Development Board "the ultimate".

Just my 2 cents worth.

Timothy Gilmore
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2005-12-23 16:40
    In terms of connecting to your network, you might want to check out PINKy.· They are on back order, but will probably do what you're after:

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30013

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
    edited 2005-12-23 17:50
    Thanks for the great replies to my question. I did not think about all the example code being based off the BASIC Stamp 2 rather than it's upgraded versions which I am sure will make things easier to start with the standard BASIC 2 and then upgrade if needed. Also, John thanks for pointhing out that link I must be going blind over here not sure how I missed it in the first place. Thanks again everyone for proving this is one of the best supported communities on the web [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I'll be back after I get my stuff in the mail,
    Brann
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2005-12-23 22:08
    On the Educational downloads page there are a couple of PowerPoint tutorials for the BS2. One is for WAM, the other is a bit different, but both are very good.

You can download a PowerPoint viewer from Microsoft, and one of the tutorials is available as HTML slides.
  • HiTekGizmosHiTekGizmos Posts: 14
    edited 2006-01-03 17:40
    The PINK sounds like it would be easily integrated into a BS project however it is a little pricey. The SitePlayer is a similar device, available with a development board, for about half the price... 8 or so binary inputs/outputs, serial port, and of course 10/100. You'd be on your own in the software development of course...
    edited 2006-01-05 05:53
    Thanks again to everyone for the info. I ended up getting a BOE-Bot kit and have been playing with it the last few days to get the hang of pbasic and everything seems to be going pretty well. I figured it would be better to learn to walk with a kit before I try to take off running on a huge project from my own plans. I'm sure I will be back with some n00b questions in time but for now I will be reading the BOE-Bot book cover to cover so I can cut down the number of said questions [noparse]:)[/noparse]

-Brann
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-01-05 16:27
    No one has mentioned Tracy Allen's OWL data logger which uses a BasicStamp2pe with Flash RAM.

Several of the features you want are already integrated on-board. But most importantly, it is a tried and tested data logger that programs in PBasic. I must admit that $199USD is a bit more, but with the RAM, the real time clock, and the temperature measuring already included, you have much less to put together from here and there. It certainly will flatten your learning curve a bit.

Try www.emsystems.com

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan