Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How much power does it take to operate the BoE? Can I power it briefly from a — Parallax Forums

How much power does it take to operate the BoE? Can I power it briefly from a

winchmanwinchman Posts: 22
edited 2005-12-22 15:31 in Learn with BlocklyProp
In my winch project, I'm using a BoE with a BS2. See:
http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=5&m=96533&g=96698#m96698

The only input is from a Hall-effect sensor, which will get its power from the BoE.

There are two outputs. Both go into a 7407 buffer which leads to two MOSFETS to control some large relays. Very little power is required on the outputs. The circuit is shown on page 157 of the Microcontroller Cookbook.

The BoE will need to be on for only four seconds each time it is used, sometimes less than that.

How much power will the BoE require to operate for this set-up? I could find the power requirements for the Stamp itself, but not for the BoE.

Would it be feasible to power the BoE from capacitors which have been charged to 12 volts just before the BoE is used?

If so, will I need to limit the input voltage to 9 volts, or can I apply the full 12 volts from the capacitors to the battery terminals or power input connector on the BoE?

What's the minimum voltage required to keep the BoE working properly?

Any suggestions for a circuit design would be appreciated, if I need some way to limit the voltage to 9 volts going into the BoE.

Thanks,
Roger

Comments