Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
power supply by small Solar Panel — Parallax Forums

power supply by small Solar Panel

felixfelix Posts: 9
edited 2005-12-22 09:32 in BASIC Stamp
Hello everyone,
I’m working in an electronics art project and I need a little help:
I’m working in a circuit with a BS connected to a LCD, and I need to use only solar light as power supply.
Who can I give enough power with a small solar panel for this circuit?. Who can I connect capacitors to make it work?, which size should they bee?

The solar panels and the LCD must bee as small as possible.
What BS model should I use?
Any ideas for the solar panel?. (http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/products/oem_components/index.htm)
Any ideas for the LCD? …

Thank you, wink.gif
Felix.
www.othersounds.net

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-12-20 16:05
    felix,

·· The LCD question has already been addressed in your other thread.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2005-12-20 18:59
    Do you need the LCD to be on all the time? The serial LCDs I know of all have quite substantial current requirements that are not in line with a solar panel when you mean as small as possible in the way I think you do. For sizing of solar panels, we need to know what kind of light exposure you have. Full sunlight in summer? That would be very different from the ambient light available in a room in an art museum.

It is possible to run LCD displays at very low current, but those seem to be mostly custom jobs. What information do you need to display? If it could be a simple 4 digit numeric display you would have more options than if you need a full multiline or graphics display.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • felixfelix Posts: 9
    edited 2005-12-21 11:39
    Hello Tracy,
    Thank you for your help!.
    I need the LCD to be on "as much as possible", so that the public can read the information from time to time. But it can go on-off with a certain frequency, it is not a problem. The light exposure isn’t ambient light: It’s a room in an art museum, but I can put a lamp facing the solar panel at approximately ½ meters.
    I need to display text information, a few phrases…
    I hope it clarifies a little bit my request. If you need any more info, please ask
    Thanks again!
    Felix
    www.othersounds.net
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2005-12-21 14:56
    The question that comes to my mind is whether the "solar power" is a requirement. Using a lamp over a solar panel is a terribly inefficient way to get power. If the display is for education or entertainment purposes, I would be tempted to "simulate" a "solar experience" rather than really try to make it happen.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...
  • GenesisGenesis Posts: 42
    edited 2005-12-22 07:07
    The lamp may already be there (e.g. to light the exhibit....)
  • felixfelix Posts: 9
    edited 2005-12-22 09:32
    Hello!
    Tom Walker is right:
    "Using a lamp over a solar panel is a terribly inefficient way to get power"
    But art is often an inefficient science!.
    This is a conceptual project, we are not dealing with "real situations" and there aren’t any educational purposes.
    The circuits will bee integrated in a sculpture, which must bee illuminated.
    Thanks for the help,
    Felix
    www.othersounds.net