Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
first time problems — Parallax Forums

first time problems

ouconvertouconvert Posts: 17
edited 2005-12-20 01:05 in BASIC Stamp
hello all!
· I just got home with my starter kit and am having some problems. Ive got the homework board, and I plugged it into the COM1 port and than put in the power supply. I had already installed the software and when i went to identify the basic stamp it doesnt show anything in the identification window.·Nothing comes up under device type and there is a yes in loopback and a no in echo. Anybody have an idea? thanks.
sean

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-12-20 00:34
    Hello,

·· What is your power supply?· Are you connected directly to a COM/Serial Port or are you using a USB to Serial Adapter?· Is the computer a desktop or laptop?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • ouconvertouconvert Posts: 17
    edited 2005-12-20 00:38
    I had a nine volt battery in it. than to make sure that wasnt the problem i plugged a 9 volt power adapter to it. im plugged in directly to a com port with the supplied wire. and im using a laptop.
    edited 2005-12-20 00:40
    Okay, laptops can be touchy with their COM/Serial Ports...Have you tried disabling the FIFO buffers?· This could be your problem.· Also, with your new power supply, does the green power LED come on?· And what voltage are you using on it?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • ouconvertouconvert Posts: 17
    edited 2005-12-20 00:45
    i did disable the buffers and the green light is on. its a 9 volt 300mA power adapter.
    edited 2005-12-20 01:05
    Give Tech Support a call tomorrow, we'll try to go from there.· 1-888-997-8267

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com