Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Do you know a Basic Interpreter similar to PBasic? — Parallax Forums

Do you know a Basic Interpreter similar to PBasic?

KiwibotKiwibot Posts: 1
edited 2005-12-19 16:05 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
I'm getting a Sumobot kit for Xmas, and would like to use the time between now and then learning Basic. Someone suggested I download a copy of GWBasic off the internet to play with in the interrim, but they weren't sure how similar it would be. Can anyone tell me if there is a better (nearer to PBasic) interpreter that I should atart with?

Comments

• bsparkybsparky Posts: 52
    edited 2005-12-17 20:04
    Why not use PBasic its self you can download it from Paralax web sight free........
  • cyberbiotacyberbiota Posts: 79
    edited 2005-12-17 20:04
    Kiwibot-

The closest thing to the to the PBasic interpreter is...the PBasic interpreter. You can download it from the Parallax website at:

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/software/software_basic_stamp.asp

peter

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Peter C. Charles

Director, Research and Technology
    CyberBiota, Incorporated
    Peter.charles@cyberbiota.com
    http://www.cyberbiota.com
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-12-19 16:05
    Unfortunately, to actually try anything with the PBasic interpreter, you'll need a BS2 plugged into some carrier board (the BOE is excellent). Well, you can compile things, but you can't run them without a BS2.

PBasic is actually better than the GWBasic interpreter, because GWBasic requires instruction numbers, while PBasic does not. In addition, PBasic has some very nice keywords (SERIN/SEROUT, SHIFTIN/SHIFTOUT, PULSIN/PULSOUT, PAUSE) designed for generating nice I/O signals, which GWBasic knows nothing about.

I wish Parallax would generate a nice PBasic debug version, but they have not as of yet. It might reveal too many trade secrets should they do so -- you'd need a software 'model' of the BS2 to run it on, after all.