Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
basic stamp 2 halloween ???? — Parallax Forums

basic stamp 2 halloween ????

johnny933johnny933 Posts: 1
edited 2005-12-19 22:58 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
New here so go easy. I've seen some halloween props build with the products here. I think the one used the basic stamp 2 w/ servos.
I will be making a figure that the head turns left/right and the mouth opens/closes and talks.
Right now, I would just like to see a diagram of the stamp with servos and speaker hooked to it, or a prop like this showing photos of the install of it.
Any links will be appreciated and/or any help.
I want to get this started in a few weeks.
Thanks for the help.

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-12-17 00:23
    You can find a schematic using a servo and BASIC Stamp 2 in the "Whats a Microcontroller" text at this link:· http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28152·and you can a wiring diagram for the Emic text to speech module at this link:· http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30006.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
    edited 2005-12-19 22:58
    johnny933 said...
    Hi,
    New here so go easy. I've seen some halloween props build with the products here. I think the one used the basic stamp 2 w/ servos. I will be making a figure that the head turns left/right and the mouth opens/closes and talks. Right now, I would just like to see a diagram of the stamp with servos and speaker hooked to it, or a prop like this showing photos of the install of it. Any links will be appreciated and/or any help. I want to get this started in a few weeks. Thanks for the help.
    Johnny:

I built a halloween prop I called "The Dungeon Keeper". This is an animated skull mounted on a PVC pipe "body" and placed inside a prop coffin. I used a BSIIsx (though you could use a BSII or even a Prop-1) to control the motions of the servos that drive the eyes (pan) the head (tilt and pan) as well as the wrist (rotate left/right) and the torso (move in/out). I have a web page with videos of the prop and also with the source code to control the prop's motion.

I simply use random numbers and place a series of random destinations for each servo to cause the prop to slowly move around in a spooky, random sort of way. It's hard to describe, but you can see the results in the videos. I also made a version of this random servo code for the Prop-1.

My goal in using Random was to make it so the motions were interesting and not visually repetitive. I didn't want to have to code motions into the body (though you could do so) since I expected I would be changing the dialog for the character and I wanted to be able to do so without having to re-program body motions.

In my design I decided to use an audio to servo controller to make the jaw move as using the stamp to sync audio to servo (jaw) motion is tricky (See the thread on this in the ParallaxEFX forum).

Though I don't have any schematics of the unit, I do have some pictures and together with the source code, it should give you an idea on how to start this type of project. Let me know if you have any questions.

smile.gif

Vern

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE    | "If the network is down, then you're
    Senior Systems Engineer    | obviously incompetent so why are we
    Texas Information Services | paying you? Of course,if the network
    http://www.txis.com        | is up, then we obviously don't need
    Austin Office 512 328-8947 | you, so why are we paying you?" ©VLG

Post Edited (Vern) : 12/19/2005 11:06:03 PM GMT