Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Simulations — Parallax Forums

Simulations

leshea2leshea2 Posts: 83
edited 2005-12-20 15:19 in BASIC Stamp
Can the BS2sx be programmed to run Simulations based on the data stored in it's EEPROM and in some extened EEPROM ?

Thanks !

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-12-17 00:11
    What type of simulations are you referring to?· EEPROM stores the program for the BS2sx and it can store data for data collection.·

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • leshea2leshea2 Posts: 83
    edited 2005-12-19 18:56
    I mean any kind of simulations that you want, like scientists do on computers. For an example, lets say you used a temperature sensor to sense the temperature in a room, and you wanted to run different scenarios to see what effect it had on determining the temperature in a room, (a door being cracked, etc.). So, could you program the BS2sx to run Simulations based on the data stored in it's EEPROM, like people do on computers ?

Thanks !
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2005-12-19 19:13
    I think the better approach (using your example) would be to use the Basic Stamp as a way to translate the information from the sensor (like a thermistor in your example) into serial information that could then be sent to a computer to do the analysis... There are devices called Data Loggers that will collect and store the data over a period of time (e.g. record the temperature every 5 minutes) that you could then download to a computer for further analysis.

That said, within a program, i could envision using the DATA function to provide different values that are used in other parts of the program to "simulate" operations (for example, data values of 50, 70, 90 that represent temperatures).

e.g.· read the first Data value,·perform the operations you want, read the next data value, perform the operations you want, etc.
  • nick bernardnick bernard Posts: 329
    edited 2005-12-19 19:17
    if i understand you propper then yes... and no.

the simulation is limited to what the stamp can do.
    the basic stamp can perform many simple math functions that can be used in simulations. it has an easy data interface with its eeprom. bit, nibble, byte and word access for effiency. and a simple hyperterminal application could record results in a txt file which you could copy to excell and generate charts and graphs.

is there something specific you had in mind?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    engineer, fireman, bowler, father, WoW addict [noparse];)[/noparse]
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-12-20 15:19
    The BS2 has 26 bytes of RAM, and 2 KBytes of EEPROM. As such, it's kind of limited in the 'General Purpose Simulation' you seem to be pursuing.

It could be very useful in taking temperature measurements, though.