Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Programing my Basic STAMP — Parallax Forums

Programing my Basic STAMP

BlaineBlaine Posts: 6
edited 2005-12-19 00:24 in BASIC Stamp
I am doing a physics project for school (I am a tenth grade student) I the project I have in mind is to have a distance meter that reports back how far the object is, and instead of it saying "ten inches away" I want it to emit a tone, or .wav, whatever. The affect I want is to be able to swing my hands in the "path" of the sensor @ different closenesses to achive the abiltiy to make a song or something. Sorry if someone has already asked this [noparse]:([/noparse]

So a coupla questions are-
Can this be done with a basic STAMP?
Can I get help programming this?
Would I use the PING(((( sensor?

Thanks, and I hope you guys can help!

blaine

EDIT: I have seen this http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=529852 and that is helpful, so I guess the tone emitting on the programing side still needs to be addressed

EDIT: I would also like to put a analog meter for looks(IE it would spike when I put my hand infront of it. search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&fstype=1&catref=C6&from=R10&fcl=3&satitle=analog+meter&sacat=4659%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=2%26fsoo%3D2&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

Post Edited (Blaine) : 12/14/2005 10:43:32 PM GMT

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-12-14 22:45
    Blaine,

·· Sure you could use the PING))) sensor.· The only thing I think may or may not be a problem for you is that you will have to take a reading from the PING))) then play a tone.· The farther away an object it, the longer it takes the PING))) to return a response (longer pulse).· You will have a small delay between tones, and the tones themselves may have to be a fixed length or you will be restarting a tone over and over.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • BlaineBlaine Posts: 6
    edited 2005-12-14 22:48
    So I would want to have this within a, let's say 2 ft distance from the PING(((. I would just have to play slowly, right? Is there default windows tones I can pull up? synth tones or something? Thanks for the reply
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-12-14 23:00
    The BASIC Stamp has a command FREQOUT to play sounds...You would need to look into how it works to see what I mean.· As for Windows, you cannot play Windows sounds/WAV files wihtout writing PC code to receive serial data from the BASIC Stamp to do this.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • C.MoherC.Moher Posts: 35
    edited 2005-12-19 00:24
    You can purchase or borrow, from a guitar player, effects pedals to condition your tone. I would suggest an effect known as a Flanger if you're looking for synth sounds. You would also need to borrow, buy or build an audio amplifier for the output of the flanger. You could use your stereo if you are very careful.·I'm not sure how to interface the freqout from the stamp into the flanger but it does condition the very weak signal from guitar pickups so I'm sure the freqout is a strong enough signal....perhaps even too strong for the effects pedal input. You may also want to restrict·the frequency of the·output tones to the Pentatonic scale (ask your music teacher for these 5 notes in say, the key of C) to have something coherently musical. The melody to probably 90% of all songs can be played using these 5 single notes.