Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 Mini Board — Parallax Forums

BS2 Mini Board

Tronic (Greece)Tronic (Greece) Posts: 130
edited 2006-01-10 07:15 in Robotics
Hello everyone.

I'd like to show you the new small board I designed to fit inside a small robot I'm working on.
It consists of OEM parts and it features a secondary (easy to attach) board that acts as
programming module.

You can visit the·complete project article in the link below:
http://users.sch.gr/pavlos/Projects/bs2_mini/Bs2_mini_board_EN.htm

And to see the article in greek click on:
http://users.sch.gr/pavlos/Projects/bs2_mini/Bs2_mini_board.htm

bs2miniboarddiag.JPG

Thanks, Thanos

Post Edited (Tronic (Greece)) : 12/13/2005 1:26:51 PM GMT

Comments

• Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
    edited 2005-12-13 13:53
    Thank you for posting this project. It appears that the parts from the BS2OEM kit could be used to build a variation of this.
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2005-12-16 01:02
    Very cool! This is exactly the same idea I have been working on... I envisioned creating a "Stamp Lite" that just has the PIC, EEPROM and resonator. Everything else I want to have on a "Programming Key". I am actually surprised that this is not the approach that Parallax took when they created the OEM Version in an effort to keep the cost per unit as low as possible.
  • Tronic (Greece)Tronic (Greece) Posts: 130
    edited 2005-12-16 09:25
    Thanks Steve,

You are correct. After all, in most applications there is no need to program it more than once and not all applications require serial interface to connect it with computer to exchange data. There is always other way to archieve connunication for example via RF module or bluetooth!

miniprogdiag1.jpg

Thanos
    ·
  • knightofoldcodeknightofoldcode Posts: 233
    edited 2005-12-16 12:16
    Tronic,

I personally use a similiar method for integration of a BS2 into my projects.

I breadboard the unit in a standard breadboard, once I'm happy with everything I create a PCB for it using Eagle PCB software. Ine the Eagle PCB software I created a set of components which consists of the pic, eeprom, and other supporting components. Once I make that board, it has the BS2 built into the board. It doesn't have the components for programming. I make the EEPRom of the BS2 socketed. This way when it needs to be programmed I take out the EEProm, and take it to my bench, program it, then pop it back into the application. [noparse]:)[/noparse] I puchased %50 more EEProms, than BS2's in use. This way I have additional EEProms for programming. Then I use a tag to label the EEProms with a code, which is the program version and program name. This works really well. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Steve Joblin,

Parallax created the OEM version to show customers in the most simple way, how to integreate the Bs2 into a project, without having to purchase a BS2-IC. Not for convinience of integrating the BS2-OEM itself, directly unit into a project.

Knight.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    This message transmitted with 100% recycled electrons.
    -=-=-=-=-=-
    Gravity doesn't exist. The Earth sucks.
    -=-=-=-=-=-
    Make a man a fire, and he will be warm for the night.
    Light the man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Justin SaneJustin Sane Posts: 35
    edited 2005-12-24 21:12
    Tronic (Greece) said...
    Hello everyone.

I'd like to show you the new small board I designed to fit inside a small robot I'm working on.
    It consists of OEM parts and it features a secondary (easy to attach) board that acts as
    programming module.

You can visit the·complete project article in the link below:
    http://users.sch.gr/pavlos/Projects/bs2_mini/Bs2_mini_board_EN.htm

And to see the article in greek click on:
    http://users.sch.gr/pavlos/Projects/bs2_mini/Bs2_mini_board.htm

bs2miniboarddiag.JPG

Thanks, Thanos
    Hello,

What's name of·that black with metallic terminal·that's holding the chip? I googled for it, and had no luck.
    edited 2005-12-24 22:00
    I think I found right term for it,

IC socket, am I right?

Also, I would like to know where you·bought this item from?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Justin Sane) : 12/24/2005 11:05:39 PM GMT
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-12-25 00:27
    Machine screw IC socket to be precise
    edited 2005-12-25 02:15
    Thanks! cool.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2005-12-25 02:33
    By the way, whats the width of OEM BS2? I tried to look on parallax.com, and I couldnt find any kind of spec like this. Its not safe to assume, but is it 0.6"?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2005-12-25 03:23
    That's a good question. The picture of the BS2 Interpreter sure looks like a 0.6 in wide chip here www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=PBASIC2C/P

But judging from the picture of the BS2 Mini board and the .1 inch hole spacing on the perfboard - it looks like a 0.3 in wide chip.
  • knightofoldcodeknightofoldcode Posts: 233
    edited 2005-12-25 07:03
    Forrest said...
    That's a good question. The picture of the BS2 Interpreter sure looks like a 0.6 in wide chip here www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=PBASIC2C/P

But judging from the picture of the BS2 Mini board and the .1 inch hole spacing on the perfboard - it looks like a 0.3 in wide chip.

www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=PBASIC2C/P is a 0.6 in wide spacing for the BS2's interpreter.

I know this only from having purchased them. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

The BS2 OEM's chip is the same size as the BS2-IC. At least in width. In length, the BS2-IC has four less pins, (two on each side) than the BS2-OEM's interpreter.

Knight.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    This message transmitted with 100% recycled electrons.
    -=-=-=-=-=-
    Gravity doesn't exist. The Earth sucks.
    -=-=-=-=-=-
    Make a man a fire, and he will be warm for the night.
    Light the man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2005-12-25 10:02
    I would love to know how you managed to get such clear photos.

I have a Konica Digital Revio KD-400Z and find my closeup photos a disappointment/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
    edited 2005-12-25 13:02
    If you want sharp, closeup pictures with a digital camera, then be sure and switch on Macro mode, focus the camera manually, have plenty of light and use a tripod. I've been fairly successful without using a tripod also.
    edited 2005-12-27 08:51
    Kramer said...
    I would love to know how you managed to get such clear photos.

I have a Konica Digital Revio KD-400Z and find my closeup photos a disappointment/

·I took the photos using an old digital DV camera·AIPTEK 3500 (no tape, 512MB flash memory) that its resolution is only 1.3 Mpixels!·It has no zoom capability (some digital but its awful) but I found another way to·focus as close as I want down to 1 cm distance !!! Its len is the screw type like the ones that most wireless videocamera have, so I un unscrew it by hand to focus to the desired distance after I remove the turn-limit cover.· I have seen latest models cameras with 6 mpixels resolution that were unable to focus so close!

Another issue is the plenty of light It takes to make such photos possible and for that I use a desklamp (40W) with gooseneck.

Before I got·the aiptek camera I had a normal webcamera (640x480) that I was fixed a magnify len in front of it to be able to focus down to 5 cm distance...

Thanos

PS. The dimensions of the bs2 chip are different because I obtain it from a local distributor (Deagostini,Greece) and it was constructed by 2000-2001.

Post Edited (Tronic (Greece)) : 12/27/2005 9:05:55 AM GMT
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2006-01-10 00:59
    tronic - any reason you didn't simplify the Programming Module by using a Max233?· Just curious based on what I learned in http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=565818
    edited 2006-01-10 07:15
    Well, the main reason was that the MAX233, that doesnt need the 4 extra caps, was too expensive (11 euro) opposite to the normal·MAX232 that costs about·2 euro.·

Netherless the summing·cost of the tranzistors and resistors I used is less than 1 euro here...· and its working great so far!

have a look at·the solder side connections:

miniprogsolderside.JPG

It isn't much complicated.

Thanos