Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stamp Software Update — Parallax Forums

Stamp Software Update

Earl FosterEarl Foster Posts: 185
edited 2006-01-02 17:07 in BASIC Stamp
I downloaded the lastest version of the stamp editor program and now I get an error message about no disk in drive D.· I click through the message and the program starts·and works fine.· I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program but the same thing happens.· I even installed a earlier version but it still does the same thing.· I have attached the error message.

I have looked through windows xp registry and can not find the reference.· Is there a specific place in the registry or within windows I could look to correct this problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-12-13 05:18
    Hello,

·· As I recall, Tech Support took care of this earlier, but I will repeat this here.· The Stamp Editor is finding a drive attached to your computer which does not have a mounted volume.· This is most likely a flash card reader, or an older ZIP Drive, but the error occurs because no disk is in that drive.· Either disconnect the drive or insert a disk (or media) into it and the error will stop.· Otherwise you can just keep clicking cancel to get past it.· There is currently no other work-around.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Earl FosterEarl Foster Posts: 185
    edited 2006-01-02 15:11
    Well I am still having that drive error message problem and while I have clicked my way through it since your post I have also had more time to think about and ...

I am sorry but I still don't understand why the program is looking for another drive. It never use too. I only have 2 drives (hard drive and CD). The exe file can not rewrite itself to look for another drive. And if the exe file is doing so then it either was compiled to do so or compile to use another file/registry entry like an ini file or someother initialization file.

You say Tech Support, which you are, has taken care of this earlier. What do you mean by that? I haven't been able to find any posts on this problem. Can you provide the reference?

Lets assume for a second that I had a CD in my CD drive while installing Stampw from my downloads directory on my hard drive. Why would it care? Perhaps it is using another file or registry entry for reference!

Post Edited (ebf306) : 1/2/2006 3:15:02 PM GMT
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-01-02 16:12
    ebf306 -

Are you using a Compaq (now HP) computer, or if not, what brand of computer are you using? Is it a desktop, or a laptop?

Just as a matter of clarification, it really doesn't matter how many physical drives you have, it DOES matter, how many logical drives there are. Often the number is the same, if there are no drives with multiple partitions on them.

With the above in mind, was there ever another logical drive on this particular system, regardless of the type? If so, what was it?

I can't speak about what happens on Windows XP, but with Windows 98SE, there are a couple of Registry entries for Parallax and/or Stamp. I can't see where any of the entries have any direct bearing on this problem however.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-01-02 16:22
    ebf306 said...(trimmed)

You say Tech Support, which you are, has taken care of this earlier. What do you mean by that? I haven't been able to find any posts on this problem. Can you provide the reference?

Lets assume for a second that I had a CD in my CD drive while installing Stampw from my downloads directory on my hard drive. Why would it care? Perhaps it is using another file or registry entry for reference!

I thought we had taken care of it, in that we received an e-mail to support@parallax.com which was identical to your post and replied to it with the above information.

Apparently you are having a different problem, so I will ask you, in your "My Computer" which drives are listed, and what letters are assigned to each drive?· Also, which version of Windows are you using, and did you change any settings during installation, such as your destination directory?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Earl FosterEarl Foster Posts: 185
    edited 2006-01-02 17:07
    Thanks for getting back to me. I never saw that reply, probably deleted it by mistake. I sent another one this morning that can be closed. There were no changes in logical or physical drives. I just downloaded and installed the updated program, then the error started.

After making this last post I spent the morning going back into the registry and deleting every record I could find that referenced stampw.exe. BTY - nothing referenced a "D" drive. Then searched the computer for any files pretaining to stampw.exe and deleted them. And finally ran the uninstall program again. Rebooted and reinstalled the lastest version one more time. The error message has appeared to have stopped and the program is working fine now.

Chalk it up to some anomaly. Computers - you gotta love um!

Thanks