Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Christmas Light Controller — Parallax Forums

Christmas Light Controller

Patrick DPatrick D Posts: 62
edited 2005-12-10 23:58 in BASIC Stamp
Has anyone here ever made OR seen plans for a light controller similar to this one
http://store.lightorama.com/lor800w.html
·

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-12-10 16:33
    That gets a little sophisticated, but you could roll-your-own smaller version using any number of products in our catalog.· Folks that have been working with our new EFX products are doing small-scale lighting projects using the RC-4 to control Christmas lights. The RC-4 can be daisy-chained for up to 120 VAC control circuits and will work with BS1 and BS2 controllers.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=31204

Remember: SSRs (solid state relay) for the RC-4 are sold separately.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Patrick DPatrick D Posts: 62
    edited 2005-12-10 16:42
    Thanks Jon.
    Are there any schematics or sample code available that would demonstrate this? Also - how many RC-4's can be daisy-chained? Lastly, would I have to use the prop-1, or could I use a BOE instead?
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-12-10 16:57
    Whoops, a little typo in my post: you can chain up to four RC-4s to the same Stamp I/O pin (16 total SSR control circuits). As EFX is very new, we're still kind of scrambling to get more app notes, but connecting the RC-4 to a Stamp is a simple as using a 3-wire servo extender cable -- nothing magic (and it's in the docs). There is demo code in the docs too, and connecting to a BOE (the servo ports are convenient for this).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Patrick DPatrick D Posts: 62
    edited 2005-12-10 17:17
    Thanks for the info Jon...

Now I just need to make a decision: Do I make a 16 channel light controller using a BS2, BOE and 4 RC-4's for around $300 (not including case, hardware, cables, etc) or buy one premade for $299. Then factor in the programing time and functionality...

Please don't take this the wrong way, as I am a huge fan of the Parallax product line - and have been for several years. However, situations like this have always seemed to be my dilemma when it comes to building something from scratch... "Just because I can make something, does that mean I should?" It seems to me that when I build things, they usually end up costing me twice as much, and have half the functionality of commercially available products.

I usually justify this cost/functionality offset with the self-pride of "doing it yourself" and having learned something new. This may be getting off topic, but I am sure you have encountered this before - where do you draw the line?
  • Eric REric R Posts: 225
    edited 2005-12-10 23:03
    Take a look here·http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=560479·Keep in mind that while buying opto 22 can get expensive, there are other alternatives such as a MOC driving a triac.

Look at it this way,

5vdc power supply $20, BS2 $49, BS2 carrier board $24, 2 ULN2803A's $3, 16 MOC's, caps,triacs, terminal strips and a rectangle tupperware container for $10 or less. You would have a great start for around half the cost. I know, you are saying tupperware??? A lot of guys seem to use them as they seal well. I don't think you will find UL listings for tupperware so play it safe and leave it in the middle of your yard or something.smilewinkgrin.gif You will also have the satisfaction of building it yourself and that says a lot. tongue.gif

Keep in mind that while one LOR box is $299. 3 of 'em is $897 plus shipping. A little work on your end could save you some money if you plan well and buy in quantity (Triacs)

Outputs disappear quickly in a light display as 2 of my displays consume 15 and 16 outputs·alone. The house is using 4 and I am just getting started. Take your time and layout what you want to do and compare prices then you will know what will work best for you.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-12-10 23:58
    Patrick D said...(trimmed)
    Do I make a 16 channel light controller using a BS2, BOE and 4 RC-4's for around $300 (not including case, hardware, cables, etc) or buy one premade for $299. Then factor in the programing time and functionality...
    Please don't take this the wrong way, as I am a huge fan of the Parallax product line - and have been for several years. However, situations like this have always seemed to be my dilemma when it comes to building something from scratch... "Just because I can make something, does that mean I should?" It seems to me that when I build things, they usually end up costing me twice as much, and have half the functionality of commercially available products.
    I usually justify this cost/functionality offset with the self-pride of "doing it yourself" and having learned something new. This may be getting off topic, but I am sure you have encountered this before - where do you draw the line?
    I would say this is a question you have to ask youself.· Are you the kind of person who likes to build things rather than buy them?· Or, are you the type of person who bases this strictly on cost.· Myself, I am an engineer/technician for so many years that I will often spend 3 times what it costs to buy something just so I can build it myself.·

In fact, typically my attitude is that I won't buy something I can build myself.· This can be said for Stereo Amplifiers.· Ever since my first built unit, I haven't ever bought one for my own use.· I would rather build my own even if it cost a lot more.· Benefits are things I build are exactly what I want, and nothing I don't want or need.· Plus I can make it look however I want.· I can also decide the type/size of enclosure/case.

So again, the decision will be yours.· Nobody else will be able to make that call for you.· If you have the fanciest Christmas Lights on the block, are you going to want to tell people you built the controller from scratch?· =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com