Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Interfaceing BS2 to phone line — Parallax Forums

Interfaceing BS2 to phone line

TravisWTravisW Posts: 1
edited 2005-12-10 13:18 in BASIC Stamp
confused.gif·1.· I have completed the design and breadboarding of a circuit that interfaces the BS2, and other devices, to a telephone line. I am now ready to go to the next phase of building an engineering model. For this I need to duplicate what the BASIC SIAMP module does. I will be using a PIC16C57C and a serial EEPROM (24C32A). Can I expect the system to work as it does now by simply dupicating the BS2 circuit and loading the PBASIC code that I have developed into the PIC16C57, or does the microcontroller require some kind of BASIC development code to be loaded first? My programming experience is limited to what I have gained using the BS2, so any explanation needs to be simple.

2.· There seems to be a discrepancy on the MicroChip PIC16C57 data sheet, page 12. Pin 2 is listed as VDD, and pin 4 is listed as VSS. This is reversed to how they are designated on the BASIC Stamp 2 schematic (Rev G). I have verified that the PIC16C57 on my board is wired according to the schematic. Do you know if·MicroChip has changed the layout for the PIC16C57C (and also PIC16F57C)?

3.· MicroChip recommends that their PIC16F57C be used in new applications in place of the PIC16C57C. Do you know if this is a direct replacement?

4.· I recently tried to get into your forum but had forgotten my user name, so I re-registered with a different user name. I now know my original user name, so I need to delete one of my user names. One is metcalf, the other is travisM. Please advise.
Thank you,
TravisM

Comments

• knightofoldcodeknightofoldcode Posts: 233
    edited 2005-12-10 10:10
    TravisW said...
    confused.gif 1. I have completed the design and breadboarding of a circuit that interfaces the BS2, and other devices, to a telephone line. I am now ready to go to the next phase of building an engineering model. For this I need to duplicate what the BASIC SIAMP module does. I will be using a PIC16C57C and a serial EEPROM (24C32A). Can I expect the system to work as it does now by simply dupicating the BS2 circuit and loading the PBASIC code that I have developed into the PIC16C57, or does the microcontroller require some kind of BASIC development code to be loaded first? My programming experience is limited to what I have gained using the BS2, so any explanation needs to be simple.

2. There seems to be a discrepancy on the MicroChip PIC16C57 data sheet, page 12. Pin 2 is listed as VDD, and pin 4 is listed as VSS. This is reversed to how they are designated on the BASIC Stamp 2 schematic (Rev G). I have verified that the PIC16C57 on my board is wired according to the schematic. Do you know if MicroChip has changed the layout for the PIC16C57C (and also PIC16F57C)?

3. MicroChip recommends that their PIC16F57C be used in new applications in place of the PIC16C57C. Do you know if this is a direct replacement?

4. I recently tried to get into your forum but had forgotten my user name, so I re-registered with a different user name. I now know my original user name, so I need to delete one of my user names. One is metcalf, the other is travisM. Please advise.

Thank you,

TravisM

I'm not sure of the other questions, however if you purchase a PIC16C57C from a alternate source other than Parallax, it will NOT work. The PIC16C57C must be purchased from Parallax!

Through Hole: www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=PBASIC2C/P
    Surface Mount: www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=PBASIC2C/SS

I don't know the best way to explain why, but the pic from a different source, doesn't have hte proper software loaded on it. This software is proprietary intellectual property of Parallax, and it's the only thing that sets Parallax apart from any other company. For this reason, they won't sell you, or give you the software loaded on the PIC16C57C.

As for the PIC16F57C, it doesnt matter for the reason above.

As for the discreptancy, I have no clue.

Knight.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    This message transmitted with 100% recycled electrons.
    -=-=-=-=-=-
    Gravity doesn't exist. The Earth sucks.
    -=-=-=-=-=-
    Make a man a fire, and he will be warm for the night.
    Light the man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
  • knightofoldcodeknightofoldcode Posts: 233
    edited 2005-12-10 10:13
    Also, the PIC16C57C is the ONLY item that you MUST get from Parallax! However, it's recommended that you get the crystal from Parallax too!.....

Knight.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    This message transmitted with 100% recycled electrons.
    -=-=-=-=-=-
    Gravity doesn't exist. The Earth sucks.
    -=-=-=-=-=-
    Make a man a fire, and he will be warm for the night.
    Light the man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-12-10 13:18
    FYI Parallax is still selling the BS2 OEM in kit form (you'll need to solder it yourself) for $30 here www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27291

This BS2 OEM board should help you develop your own board - as both the Basic Interpreter chip and the EEPROM (conatining your program and data) are socketed.