Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cannont recognize BS2 connected to serial port — Parallax Forums

Cannont recognize BS2 connected to serial port

AllenDAllenD Posts: 3
edited 2005-12-21 21:48 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I just pulled out my BS2 from a drawer after over a year without using it. However I cannot get the Basic Stamp software to recognize my stamp. I click the "Identify" icon, and it shows COM3 and COM1. Both have Yes for Echo, and COM3 has no for loopback, but COM1 has Yes. I verified that I have the correct "straight through" cable, and that my 9volt battery is charged (I am using the BS2 Carrier board). Is there anything else I should check? I am using Version 2.1 Beta 1 of the BS Editor on windows XP. Do I need to change any settings on my computer to get things to work?

Thanks,
Allen

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2005-12-08 23:18
    COM1 is enabled in Device Manager?· Is COM1 wholly unused by anything else?

What happens if you try to send it some simple program with these Directives (at the top):

' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PORT COM1}
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-12-08 23:23
    Another question would be, is this the only Stamp Module you have?· Do you have another one you could test that does work?· Is the computer a laptop or desktop?·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • AllenDAllenD Posts: 3
    edited 2005-12-09 00:23
    I tried the obligatory program:

'{$STAMP BS2}
    '{$PORT COM1}

DEBUG "Hello World!"

I got the error "No basic stamps found". I don't have any other basic stamps, and I am running this on a desktop. It is definately a possibility that there are problems with my stamp, but I was hoping that there was some way to verify this.
    edited 2005-12-09 02:05
    Do you have anything (serial device) that can run via COM1, or maybe a Serial Port tester?
    edited 2005-12-09 06:46
    Are you using a USB to Serial Adapter or straight into the COM Port?· Have you tried another battery?· Also, are you sure of your COM Port connections?· You mention COM1 and COM3, but do you know which connects to where on the computer?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • AllenDAllenD Posts: 3
    edited 2005-12-09 14:05
    I am using a cable plugged directly into the com port. I have tried other batteries with similar results. I don't know for sure which of the two COM ports I have my stamp plugged into, but I have tried the sample program I ran above with the port directive as COM1 and COM3, and neither worked. I do have the computer case off, so if it is easy to check which com port I am connected to by following cables I can do that. As you can tell I am somewhat of a newbie at this, and appreciate all the help I can get. What is a serial port tester, and are they cheap?

Thanks,
    Allen
    edited 2005-12-09 15:03
    There are two kinds of Serial Port testers, mainly...One which plugs into the port by itself and has loopback functions that work with software to verify the connections and lines work.· The other kind is passive and basically just has LED indicators that show activity and you can use these to verify data transactions, as well as some having external connection to a scope.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-12-09 21:21
    Any chance you have an oscilloscope?

You could check for SIGnal at the cable pin and at "SIN" on the STAMP.

I have & use the serial port tester you will find at this link:

http://www.bb-elec.com/product.asp?sku=9PMTT

As Chris S. alluded, it's a "blinky-light gizmo"; when there is valid signal (data) the LEDs blink,·makes you feel good all over.

By the way, there are two·links there, "RS232 Connections That Work" and "DTE or DCE?" and they are totally excellent references: *****

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 12/10/2005 3:46:26 PM GMT
  • AdamLAdamL Posts: 30
    edited 2005-12-09 21:39
    One other thought--

Serial ports on Windows computers are not hot-swappable (cannot be connected and disconnected while on). While some computers can allow this, some can't. While you've been doing all of this testing, have you tried cycling the power on the computer with the basic board connected?

You might also want to check your port settings for the com port in the device manager. To get there, right-click on My Computer and click on Properties. Then click on the hardware tab, and click on device manager. Scroll down to Ports (Com and LPT) and double-click. Next, double-click on the com port that you're checking. Finally, click the Port Settings tab and verify your port settings. They should be 9600 bps, 8 bits, no parity, stop bit 1, and flow control none.
    edited 2005-12-10 01:01
    Adam,

·· Serial Ports actually are considered hot-swappable, in the sense that you do not need to power down to plug/unplug devices from them.· Printer Ports and PS/2 Ports OTOH are not.· In fact, Microsoft acknowledged serial port hot-plugging in Windows 95.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2005-12-11 22:46
    Take your serial cable and jump pins 2 and 3 together. See if you can get chars to echo back in hyperterminal . That way you can determine if your serial port is functioning as well as a positive ID to which comm port you are connected.
  • polderepoldere Posts: 8
    edited 2005-12-21 21:48
    Hello, I have almost same probl